Indian River Inlet Report, 8/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian River Inlet Report, 8/14

Got up Sat morning with Glen and was planning to fish the bridge for the meet and greet. Passed Surfdog at Anglers but we decided to head for the beach and do some experimenting at IRI. Have done it numerous times in the boat, but thought we'd give it a try in the Hobies.
    Got there right after low slack tide and headed out to the coast guard station. Picked up flounder, blues and some big shad with almost constant action. Lots of doubles on the blues to 20 inches or so. Decided to run the channel to the south side and see what was on the rock wall by the marina. The tide was really ripping and the boat traffic quite heavy. Current was probably running between 6 and 7 which made it sporty, but I do love the hobie. Picke up one blue on the way across and probably wasnt my brightest idea to leave a lure in the water with that current, but all ended up well. Fished the wall and picked up flounder, croaker, a few spot and what I call toad fish, plus the normal assortment of sea robbins? and baby sea bass.
    Used the last of the incoming tide to get us back to Massey's ditch and picked up flounder and spot over there as well. When the tide changed we slowly worked our way back trying a drift or two here and there. Glen decided to try adjusting something in the back of the kayak and I didnt get the camera out in time. Over he went. He popped back out at 100 miles an hour, and tried to launch himself back in the yak. Of course his vest went off and blew him right back out. I was laughing so hard I almost had a heart attack. Kayak fishing can be dangerous.
    We drifted back around the island to the marina and picked up a few more flounder and croaker before calling it a day around 7. 12 hours on the water but it was one heck of a lot of fun. In the hobies, the inlet is easily doable, just use the tides to get you where you want to go. Going against a 6 knot current is possible, but I dont want to find out for how long. As the water cools down and the tog and stripers come back, I plan on doing it again. Well worth the trip for the variety of fish. On the right day I may run out to the ocean and try for some shark rides.
    Definitly try to be as visible as possible. It was clear that some people didnt see us till the last minute. A few boats slowed to take pictures and chat. And some of the secenery was fantastic as well. Sorry I missed everyone at the meet and greet, but hadnt done IRI yet this year. The new job has kept me off the water for the last 6 weeks or so. Plus it was too hot. Hope to see you in September.

Thanks for the fishing/turtle report! You are brave for fishing the inlet, that thing always seemed to be ripping scary fast in one direction or another when I have seen it.

Comment

YUP your'e a brave man,that current rips through there at a scary rate.

Comment

On the incoming you can duck behind the coast guard wall, lots of fish hang right there. Its actually easier to hold there than in the boat. Same for the rock wall on the south side by the marina. Although we didnt do it this time, on the outgoing, an eddy forms by the coast guard station heading back in. I wouldnt want to try it in a paddle boat though.

Comment

Dang...thats gutsy taking the yak out there. I went jet skiing there once and it was pretty bad. Nice job on them fish!
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Doug

Some day I'll go with you. I tried Sunday morning on a motor boat under the bridge (both sides) and did not get a thing.

Comment

hey Doug, next time you go let me know. maybe not the inlet but masseys landing or The piers at CHSP or after labor day they remove the meters from lewes beach. free launch and good fishing

Comment

will do, probably going in Sept/OCt looking for rock and tog, get my belly full.

Comment

Working...
                X