We need your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need your help!

HOW MD has been working hard to get our chapter organized and official and we have finally gotten there. Now we need to get the heroes out on the water!

We have committed to two outings this year. The dates have been set for July 28th at Jonas Green Park and September 29th at Jackson's Landing/Jug Bay.

As with any start-up organization, our funding for equipment, supplies, and materials is VERY limited. We, as a chapter, are responsible for raising funds to provide everything needed to fulfill our mission.

This is where we need your help. We need donations! The success of our outings depends on us getting the equipment and finances to take these men and women out on the water. We need rods/reels, tackle, kayaks, PFDs, paddles, safety equipment, and of course cash.

We also need corporate and private sponsors and partners for events to provide things like food, launch/gathering locations, media coverage/advertising, tables, chairs, flyers, etc. Talk to your bosses, they may be willing to help more than you might think!

We will also need volunteers to assist with all aspects of the outings. This includes things like planning, set-up, manning the food table(s), fishing buddies for the guys/gals, and everything in between.

Please contact Medicyaker, Nay_sayer, Aesiegel, Surfdog, or Metroman for more information or to make a donation.

We are also working on setting up a fundraiser/kayak fishing outing in the near future. The vision for this is an open kayak fishing outing with sponsored lunch and local vendors providing thinks like kayak demos and showing/selling their wares. Stay tuned for more on this as we get it put together.

Please help us help those that sacrificed so much for our freedom.
    Heroes On The Water, Maryland Chapter
    maryland@heroesonthewater.org
    www.heroesonthewater.org
    FREEDOM CAPTURED.

Awesome. Glad we got some dates!!! Just a heads up, the TKAA tournament is the 29th of September, not sure if you would want to keep that date or not, not everyone goes to it but a lot of people do.

I would like to sign up to volunteer as a fishing buddy for the event in July. I will talk to Backyard Boats next week about possibly using a few of their demo boats for the heroes that day.

How many heroes do you think will be at each event?

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
      Awesome. Glad we got some dates!!! Just a heads up, the TKAA tournament is the 29th of September, not sure if you would want to keep that date or not, not everyone goes to it but a lot of people do.

I would like to sign up to volunteer as a fishing buddy for the event in July. I will talk to Backyard Boats next week about possibly using a few of their demo boats for the heroes that day.

How many heroes do you think will be at each event?
      Thanks Matt! I think we need to re-think our Sept date. We will get back to everyone with more on that as it is determined. I think at least 4 of the 5 of us from HOWMD are going to TKAA so I guess that puts a damper on the outing . We obviously need a better calendar!

Your time as a fishing buddy is greatly appreciated. I will let you know what the next steps are for signing up separate from this thread. Let me know what BYB says. I need to talk to them about some other things as well .

We are still working out the details for the number of heroes. I will post numbers as I get them.
      www.heroesonthewater.org
      FREEDOM CAPTURED.

Comment

Count me in as a fishing buddy and I will provide kayak+gear. I'm going to TKAA also... So let us know the new date!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Pigman!

Depending on the amount of people, I would be willing to setup a pig roast for any of these events. I will donate my time and gear to get the job done. I will try to work with some of the local butcher shops on securing donations on meat.

If we find that we are only going to have under 25 people I can still take on doing pulled pork or the like, just don't need as much of an apparatus for the cooking and would show up at the event at a later time.

Additionally - Is Jonas a big enough park to hold such an event? I thought there is very limited parking there?
          Keith
          Last edited by yakersaltlife; 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM. Reason: additional information
          Keith
          2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Put me down to participate as a buddy for one of these guys. Have 2 extra kayaks one a sit-inside and sit on top.

Who is in charge of marketing and connecting with the press?

I will work with my company to see about support for this and other items. Key information needed:

1. What is your biggest need? I am sure it is dollars.

2. What is the budget you guys are wanting for each?

3. What will be your sources for getting the vets and how many do you think we will get?

4. Do you need any medical support for the event? If so--what?

Any more info would help. I'd be happy to discuss on my personal cell 706-587-6891.

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by yakersaltlife View Post
              Depending on the amount of people, I would be willing to setup a pig roast for any of these events. I will donate my time and gear to get the job done. I will try to work with some of the local butcher shops on securing donations on meat.

If we find that we are only going to have under 25 people I can still take on doing pulled pork or the like, just don't need as much of an apparatus for the cooking and would show up at the event at a later time.

Additionally - Is Jonas a big enough park to hold such an event? I thought there is very limited parking there?
              Keith
              That would be fantastic and very much appreciated! Please PM with your phone number or call nay_sayer (John) at 443-826-0090 so we can discuss further.
              www.heroesonthewater.org
              FREEDOM CAPTURED.

Comment

Vets

I'm sure if someone contacted Bethesda Naval Medical Center's HR dept (or equivalent) they could post it in the appropriate areas and would probably get more than we could handle.

Bethesda is where all of the severely injured veterans go for medical treatment when evacuated from a combat zone. I think a childhood friend of mine is still there from losing both legs in Afghanistan.

But that would be a great place to start and build up the Md HOTW chapter.

I am a combat vet and was injured. My injuries were minuscule compared to what those guys at Bethesda suffered. So I would be ecstatic to help in any role(s) as needed.
                Last edited by echo5oscar; 06-14-2012, 01:59 AM. Reason: Wasn't completed

Comment

Vets...

Also contact the Wounded Warrior Project. I'm sure they can help as well.

Comment

Backyard Boats is glad to help out! I will be able to bring 1, maybe 2 extra kayaks for the heroes to use!!

Comment

ECHO- Thanks for the info, I will try to see what we can do at Bethesda. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

We have just been invited to join Wounded Warriors at two of their events on June 30. Stay tuned for more details as things are finalized.

MATT- Thanks man! I have it on my list to stop by BYB this weekend, are you working there at all?
                      www.heroesonthewater.org
                      FREEDOM CAPTURED.

Comment

count me in

Hello all. Kitkatyaker here. I have a cousin at WRC-NBC 4 TV. I will see her this Monday and ask about tv coverage. Being a vet myself I am all for it.
                        2015 Outback
                        2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by HeroesOnTheWater-MD View Post
                          ECHO- Thanks for the info, I will try to see what we can do at Bethesda. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

We have just been invited to join Wounded Warriors at two of their events on June 30. Stay tuned for more details as things are finalized.

MATT- Thanks man! I have it on my list to stop by BYB this weekend, are you working there at all?
                          No not this weekend. I'm only there once a week and it varies.

Comment

I am located in the Panhandle of WV, or Western Maryland and would love to help out with any HOW events untilt the Western Maryland chapter openes.
                            Locate, close with, and destroy the enemy, by fire and maneuver, or repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat.

Ascend A10
                            Nagging the wife for a Commander 140

Comment

Thanks for the initial post John. The September date has now been cancelled. We will be doing a Tournament in Ocean City Maryland on October 12th which will be the Captains meeting and the Actuall fishing tournament on Saturday the 13th and a rain date of Sunday the 14th. I think I may have put the wrong dates on the main forum and will correct them. I will provide more info as it comes in. Basically, PaddleHouse in West Ocean City on Rt 50 has agreed to host the First annuall Ocean City Kayak Fishing Tournament on those dates. Mr Grossman and I have been talking and as of last Friday have agreed to put this on. This event is being put on solely by PaddleHouse, MD HOW is just the Benefactor. However, I have promised Mr Grossman, The owner of Paddlehouse, that we at MD HOW will give him all the assitance he needs. We have the oportunity to make this a huge event. I am aware that it is only 2 weeks after TKAA and hope to draw from that crowd as well. I was told by Mr Grossman that he has contacts in the Media both TV and Print as well as a friend who is a Vietnam Vet and who also owns a HOTEL in OC. There are a lot of possibilities with having this event in OC and I intend to capitalize on all of them. I can be reached after Monday at noon on my cell which is (443) 306-7306 if anyone has any questions or please feel free to PM me here and I will make every attempt to answer them if I get a phone tomorrow as planned. I have an immediate need for someone with some art skills to design (gratis of course) a poster for this event. I will also need a printer and this is an IMMIDIATE NEED!!!! If you can help with this please contact me. Also, Anyone who knows how to set up a paypal account to accept payment for the tournament. To all 5 members of the Leadership committee, I will need to set up a meeting with all 5 of you in the NEAR FUTURE. Hopefully this Saturday afternoon the 30th if possible after the events for the wounded worriors in Pasadena.
                              Thanks for all of the help that each and every one of you are providing our guys.
                              Tom
                              Last edited by medicyaker; 06-24-2012, 07:52 PM.
                              Tom Brown
                              Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                              2012 Hobie PA 14'
                              Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                              2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Working...
                              X