Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRBT & Back River 30, 31 May 2012

HRBT, Wed

Arrived at HRBT about 0830 hrs. It was wet, raining, overcast and cloudy. No sun. I waited, but the rain didn't let up. I drove over 3 1/2 hrs get there and I wasn't going to let rain stop me. I hit the water at 1030 hrs. Turned out there was no other boat or yak out there. The water was near calm with only a foot chops.

Used a white bucktail w/ squid, white twister tail and Gulp jerkshad. I hooked up a keeper size (18" min) flounder on the Gulp. I was gentle on the pull, and as I reached for my net, the fish came off the hook. Dang!

No fret on the lost flattie, because I later caught a 15" weakfish (gray trout) on the Gulp. (Hey, the minimum is 12" and the creel limit is only one. Very nice fish. It was delicious too!)

It rained all day. What does your fingers look like after fishing in the rain all day?

Back River, Thurs

Was on the water before 0800 hrs. What a nice day. Sunny, light breeze, calm water, 70s.

Drifted the deep channel at the inlet with a white bucktail/squid and Gulp jerkshad. I also worked the shallows. Nothing. Lots of annoying weeds, which were snagging my lure. Lots of croaker hits on the squid.

I decided to quit early and head back to HRBT.

HRBT, Thurs

Was on the water at 1300 hrs. Nice afternoon.

Dragged a fluke rig and jigged the Gulp jerkshad. Caught a short 12" flounder on the fluke rig. Again, had a lot of annoying croaker hits. Those croakers seemed like they were everywhere. I unintentionally caught and released about a dozen on the fluke rig.

The rips picked up at mid afternoon and it really made me work the mirage drive to fish the bottom.

At quitting time, I met four other yakers. They were working the pilings for stripers and had caught nothing.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I’m glad the rain finely let up for you. Too bad the flounder didn’t cooperate.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Nice job on the weakfish, is that the first keeper you've caught?

I hope I can get down to VB later this month sometime, awesome place to fish...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

congrats on weakfish! very cool.

ps - this is what i find for 2012 VA flounder regs :

SUMMER FLOUNDER

[Regulation 4 VAC 20-620-10 et seq.]

Minimum Size Limit............................16.5 inches
        Possession Limit.................................4 per person

The above flounder restrictions apply to Virginia tidal waters, except that in Virginia's Potomac River tributaries the minimum size limit, closed season, and possession limit will be the same as established by PRFC for the mainstem Potomac River.

Comment

Yes, that's my first weakfish ever. Pan fried it and found it to be quite tasty. Better than striper, but not better than flounder.

I do try to keep it straight because I fish different places. DE min is 18" with limit at 3, MD min is 17" with limit at 3, and VA min is 16.5" with limit at 4. Then there's the seasonal changes.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
          X