Pohick Wet Dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pohick Wet Dreams

Hit Pohick Bay last night with a couple other forum NoVA guys. Perfect evening. Tough bite, though. We each landed fish but the few encounters were mostly misses. A real good one broke me off in a tangle of wood. As I was messing with my rig the tide moved me downstream where I had to duck from some low hanging branches. Leaned over a bit too far and.. turtle! My first ever.

Been a while since I've practiced but it was no problem with a steadying assist from Rockchaser and Jsnyd86. (Great fishing with you guys and thanks for the assist!) Only casualty was the rod & reel I was holding (not expensive) and a pair of pliers. Embarrassed, wet and dreaming of the one that got away we continued on. Jon had a huge blowup just before we had to leave. Might have been a Potomac Pike. I did see one clearly earlier but none hooked up.

John that blows about the turtle, glad your loss was minimal. Positive note, no skunk
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

It's always great meeting new people from the forum. I had a good time and look forward to going out with you again. I'm surprised how tough the bite was, but as we started to head out the activity seemed to pick up. Maybe it was the temp, but maybe thats when the pressure started to drop for this mornings rain. We'll find em. This trip, with the new yak, I was spending more time figuring out how to fish from it then actually fishing from it. My system needs some adjustment. Until then I'll ruin good spots with bad casts and hangups
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

That sucks to hear about the turtle! Any chance we can go snag it?

I'm going to try to make the next trip!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

you tip the hobie or the cobra?
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Shield View Post
            John that blows about the turtle, glad your loss was minimal. Positive note, no skunk
            True that! After a bit of work skunk was chased away for all of us. Thanks Don!!

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            That sucks to hear about the turtle! Any chance we can go snag it?

I'm going to try to make the next trip!
            I know where it is, Michael. And was surprised I couldn't locate it. Water up to my chest, gravel bottom, shoulda been right there but, no joy.

Summer just starting so lots of Pohick adventures ahead. Hope to see you next time!

Comment

Hey John,

I have to say I thought that big beaver was splashing around behind me again. I turned around and it took me a second to figure out why you were chest deep in the creek. Glad it turned out well enough.

I just got those pliers lubed up too.
              Jim

Hobie Outback
              TKAA member
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

John,

I thought that might have been your car there I saw when I was leaving. I left work early and fished from about 4:30 - 8:30. I think it was around 8:45 when I drove out of there. I know the park is supposed to close by 9, did you guys leave by then or is there a way to get permission to stay later?

Sorry to hear about the turtle. It sucks to lose stuff in water you can stand up in.

I caught a dozen or so bass and one tiny yellow perch, but wasn't able to get any snakeheads either. I did see a bunch of what I think were gar swimming around. Didn't know there were in there, has anyone tried fishing for them?

Comment

Originally posted by bigfluke45 View Post
                  John,

I thought that might have been your car there I saw when I was leaving. I left work early and fished from about 4:30 - 8:30. I think it was around 8:45 when I drove out of there. I know the park is supposed to close by 9, did you guys leave by then or is there a way to get permission to stay later?

Sorry to hear about the turtle. It sucks to lose stuff in water you can stand up in.

I caught a dozen or so bass and one tiny yellow perch, but wasn't able to get any snakeheads either. I did see a bunch of what I think were gar swimming around. Didn't know there were in there, has anyone tried fishing for them?
                  We were right behind you, Rob! You did better than the three of us together! Good for you. I saw several gar as well. We got out of there just after 9. Last year, Jack found that we could stay later with an overnight boaters pass. Gotta coordinate that with the on site ranger. Gonna see about that and post accordingly.

Comment

Hey John,
                    Fishing overnight (or staying later) is really easy. Once you pay the launch fee just grab one of the orange Overnight Boaters Passes from the box and put it on your dashboard. The rangers number is on the gate on the hill that leads down to the marina. It seems if there are cars in the parking lot he wont lock the gate until very late but you can just call that number and he'll drive over to open it for you. It may take awhile depending on where he is in the park though. After speaking with him he let me know that you can do it early in the morning too if the gate is closed but it seems like it's usually open because a lot of bass boats go out really early. Hope you guys kill em this season!
                    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
                    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Working...
                    X