JBay this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBay this weekend

A friend of mine living temporarily in NY for business invited me up this weekend. I didn't plan on bringing the yak since I didn't think it would be possible, but his building has a freight elevator! So since he lives in Brooklyn, I figure I might as well hit up Jbay while I have this opportunity. Was wondering if its best to just launch from Floyd Bennett on a Sunday. Maybe go around Ruffle bar and up the channels north of it, then return back by Canarsie? Probably try out a clark spoon on a planer board trolling, some bucktails, trying to keep it simple but might grab sandworms too. Bunker to chunk? Would love any suggestions from the Jbay Pros

Live bunker follow the schools. Snag hook and 9 O circles on 80lb floro or heavier.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Thanks Pinch! Gratz on the grand slam

Comment

LTJ'ing with bkd's or similar in the channels around the ruffle bar (15-20 fow) and trolling with x-raps between spots worked for me a few weeks ago. Lining the bunker like pinch suggested seemed more productive during the middle of the day, just remember a stinger in the tail unless you want the blues cutting them in half without landing them.

Chimo

Comment

Good luck up there, TJ. If you want flounder fish the dropoff on a running tide that leads to buoy #2 to the right of the launch. 25-35' of water. Bounce white/pink/chartreuse bucktails tipped with gulp. Can't miss. Good luck...

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice on tackle and spots. I got the gulps and some deep diving crank baits packed up. Picking up the $50 permit at Floyd Bennett when we launch and renting a hobie for him to use from empirekayaks.com, about an hour north of there. Need a good distraction from the BS of life, needless to say, I won't be moving to Ohio anymore. More time to get back to my old hobbies !

Comment

Hey TJ, good luck up there! You don't need a permit if you're fishing daylight anymore. I don't think they'd hassle you if you're fishing early morning either.

I had good catches on a tony spoon and bkds this year. In years past the T&W worked well but given the amount of bunker in there this year I think you'd be better off just following the schools and dropping those down. If that doesn't work just cut the bunker into strips and start jigging for flounder!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X