Bahia Kino, Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bahia Kino, Mexico

So I got a gig housesitting in Mexico for the summer. We've been here for a little over a week and haven't gotten the kayaks on the water yet due to having to dial in a few things including conflicting weather reports but time is something I have! I go out every morning and have fun catching little stuff off the rocks 4-5 pound cabrilla and 6-7 pound baracudas and some decent triggerfish. I will be getting out there soon and let you guys know how the fishing is. Other than that making friends is helping out! A guy rode by on his bike and sold us 10lbs of clams for $8 and a buddy went out on his boat this morning and hooked into all kinds of fish including the biggest sierra mackeral I've ever seen (Anyone have an good recipes?). He caught it 1/4 mile offshore and well withing paddling distance. More pics and reports to follow in the next few days. BTW the house we are house sitting can be rented for long or shorterm rentals. If anyone wants to come down I have two fishing kayaks and 12 rods down here and I can get you a good rate from the owner. I could also potentially pick you up from the airport if we work out the details ahead of time. I'll be here until August so give it some thought!

www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Nice gig Jack! Was wondering how you guys were doing. Jealous...

Doing a Pohick Potomac Pike hunt tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes...

Comment

sweet!!! i need a gig like that. real bad

Comment

Heck of a way to spend the summer! Can't wait to see some of the stuff you catch down there!

Chimo

Comment

We used to roll for those big sierras in Guatemala! I love them! BIG run at first ...Whoopee!
            I always just broiled the fish with italian dressing marinade.
            Ahhhhhhh the memories.
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Dang, way too much fun! Are you using the Sargus 7000?
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

that's a lot of clams.
                sigpic

Comment

Tufnik

Here's a great picture of your Sargus in use. I got it so my girlfriend could jig deep without learning to use a different reel. This fish ended up getting under some rocks but almost yanked her in the water initially. Great times!

Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Yeah, awesome pic! Love to see bent poles
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Update

So been here for a month and the fishing is slow sadly. The weather is really heating up and so is the water. We had a really good 118 degree day a few days ago and managing the winds is tricky. Still I'm managing to catch some decent stuff here and there just none of the really sexy species. There is a reef 2 miles offshore I just got coordinates for that I will try when I get a break in the wind. Other than that there have been a million small cabrilla and we've had really good luck on the corvina (sea trout/weakfish). In a couple weeks we'll be heading down the coast to some deeper water and then a camping trip on a nearby island. Hopefully there's some big fish out there that need catching! Still, even with the slow fishing it's hard to complain! Here's some more pics (My buddy came down to visit and he takes more and better pictures than I do!).

Called orangemouth corvina and they're delicious!
                      Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Nice corvia. They are are pretty tasty and get really big up the coast a ways in "real" California. Good job. You fishing from a yak at all??
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I have been fishing from the yak but not as much as I'd like. That wind can be brutal and on our exploratory trip outside the bay 15knot winds brought some big swells early in the morning so we had to call it. We'll get much more kayak fishing in once I take care of some stuff for the owner and do a 3-4 day trip to one of the midriff islands on the yaks. That should be blast!
                            Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Excellent pics, Jack. That looks like a great adventure.
                              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X