Rappahannock 5/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rappahannock 5/28

Fished from Motts Landing to Fredericksburg today. Visibility was only 2-3 feet in the water, not ideal. Used a 1/16th ounce jig and a brown/orange 3 inch twister tail. We fished the water hard, taking almost 8 hours to fish the 4 miles. Could not locate the smallies with any regularity. I managed 30+ sunfish up to 8 inches, one largemouth, one crappie, one channel cat, one rockbass, and one 15 inch rainbow trout right under the 95 bridge!! That was odd. My best fish of the day was a 16.5 inch smallie. Only caught like 10 other smallies, all under 11 inches. Was happy to have a 7 species day, but was hoping for more smallmouth bass! Just about all the fish were behind boulders or grassy islands/rocks.
    Green Old Town Loon 111
    Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

That sounds like a pretty good day to me with the number of species and some bigguns mixed in! Odd about the rainbow trout, must be a holdover stockie, didn't know they dumped any of those things in on the Rappy! Thanks for the report.

Comment

7 species very cool! 16.5" smallie very, very nice! Is that your local waters? I've never fishing the Rapp. Gotta put it on my list. Thanks for posting...

Comment

Sounds like you had a good day.
        2012 Hobie Revo 13'
        2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Not my local water, I live in Southern maryland. My buddy lives in culpepper so we occasionally do trips for smallmouth over in VA. We were supposed to do an overnight trip from the rapidan to the rappahannock Friday, but the rains messed up those plans.
          Green Old Town Loon 111
          Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Working...
          X