8.7.10 Report. Sort of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.7.10 Report. Sort of.

Im working on a comprehensive report. With too many words and too many pictures. Work and life have been busier than they should be. But I will have something for you.

Here are my lessons for the trip:

1. A very, very big perch fights like a croaker. A very big perch is pretty damn cool to catch.

2. Citations are...sorta unnecessary. The three distinguished gentleman that i fished with (*shoutout to john, brian and martin) on saturday saw the big fish. Those guys are all the citation that I need. Do I really need to spend 30 minutes at Anglers for gratification? Nope. The compliments are enough.

3. Kayak fishing. You aren't stuck in one spot like a shore angler, but you cant move as much as a guy/gal in a powered boat.

Fish. A. System. Here is what I've learned, and will share with everyone. Be prepared for everything, but once you decide on what you are targeting, do so in a methodical system. This involves a depth finder. If you don't have one, or your depth finder isnt working (unfortunately common in a kayak), fish with someone that has one.

Once you have one, read the bottom. Its not necessarily the fish that you will see. Most of our transducers are shooting thru the hull so you are losing sensitivity. My approach is to read the bottom (read: drop offs) and depth carefully. Fish are usually associated with certain types of bottom, and certain depths. On saturday, i broke away from the group looking for hard bottom. (hard bottom will give you a double return.) I found the bottom, and did two drifts at 18 feet. nothing. I came in a bit, drifted from 15 feet to 12 feet. Action at 14.1 feet. Up came a great croaker and a nice perch (the big one). I let the others know my findings and, I think that we all found that as long as the tide was running, we had good life (action) at about 14 feet on hard bottom. if you moved off the bottom on to mud, fishing was tougher.

Lesson learned: Set up a system. Read bottom. Find hard bottom. Find the correct depth. Use live bait. Use braided line. Fish with good people. Laugh early. Laugh often.

Full report forthcoming.
    Jason

You're on to something there, Jason! That's the way to do it. Be very observant and once you detect a pattern your chances go up exponentially. Doesn't matter whether by boat, by shore or by kayak. And it applies to all types of water; bay, lake, river, ocean, etc, etc... Good work!

Comment

Working...
    X