Striper in Breezy Point (upper Bay, MD) - May 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striper in Breezy Point (upper Bay, MD) - May 26

I and a fathe-and-son team went to Breezy Point for striper and croaker on May 26. We fished the wide open bay off the Breezy Point Marina. There is no structure to work with, just a few buoys.
    I have decades of fishing experiences there. That was the only thing I could offer to them in May for the anglers who wanted explorer other remote places

I picked the place because I wanted them taste the wide open water without visible structures, and the weather would be nice until 2:00pm for their Tarpon 100.

I trolled with a tandem rig:
    • top: a 9" white shad on a 1oz parachute
    • bottom: a 9" chartreuse shad on a 3oz parachute

We didn’t catch any croaker amazingly. But we hooked descent stripers.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Glad to hear the trip was a success! Thanks again for going with them! We need to get them down south this fall! Too bad about loosing both of those fish, looked like some nice sized ones around.

Is that the bass pro rod I gave you? It was able to troll 4 oz plus shads? That's awesome
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice Watching that was almost like going fishing.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        Glad to hear the trip was a success! Thanks again for going with them! We need to get them down south this fall! Too bad about loosing both of those fish, looked like some nice sized ones around.

Is that the bass pro rod I gave you? It was able to troll 4 oz plus shads? That's awesome
        Yes, there were nice sized striper around. We saw bait fish on the top and some breaking fish.
        I picked Breezy Point because they would fish in the wide open area without structures. There is nothing to rely on but the depth finder and NOAA chart to fish edges/drop-off.

Also as usual this time, May, scate were all over the place.

The tarpon 100 was impressive for its class. Perhaps it is better than any 12 footers, excluding OK, WS, and Hobie. They can hit CBBT on a good day with experienced kayakers.

Yes the rod was the one you gave to me. Now the rod (finally) became a genuine member of my gears.

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-28-2012, 10:51 AM.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Good job, and thanks for posting. Have never fished there, so will have do it one day.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice fish, Joe. I was sorry to see those two get away. The striper you landed looked like it had either been eating really well or it hadn't spawned yet. Did you check the gut?

Also, what's that half-circle handle-looking thing on the bow of your yak?
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Bill,
              I think the fish ate very well until it took the 9 inch white shad. Yes, the fish was unusually fat. The fillet was firm and thick.

The half circle is made of a rubber hose. The circle and two cleats on the gunwales next to fish finder are to keep dive fins, a spear gun and a PFD. On a Hobie, there isn’t much room for these equipments. I slide the fins and spear gun through the half circle, and secured the other ends to the cleats by using bungee cord and quick links.

In a few months, I will be resuming researching/pursuing kayak-spear-fishing opportunity in VA and DE. This is my research project this year.

Student Joe pursuing MA in catching fish

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                Nice Watching that was almost like going fishing.
                I agree, I always look forward to your videos Joe.
                Thanks,
                GB

Comment

Wow!! Great video as usual.
                  Take me out there!!!
                  2012 Red Outback
                  2015 Blue Outback

Comment

Originally posted by SaltyWon View Post
                    Wow!! Great video as usual.
                    Take me out there!!!
                    Won,
                    I will be on vacation during the next two weekends. The first day I can fish in the Bay is Sunday, June 17. I will let you know few days in advance.

The choices are between june 17 and July 1st:
                    • Severn River (1:05 drive) for White Perch - Due to the warm winter, this weekend will be the best for WP. ShadyFisher will let us know (look for his posts)
                    • Bay Bridge (1:20 drive) – possible Live-lining if we can catch spot. We can jig for Striper or bottom fish for WP
                    • PineyPoint (1:40 drive) for Striper and Flounder – We may live line spot for striper/flounder. There is a large pier/dock - Jiggin for striperis possible
                    • Breezy Point (1:15 drive) – Striper only. Possible live-lining for striper. Perhaps some croaker
                    • Point Lookout/or St. Jerome’s Creek (1:55 DRIVE) – striper, Flounder, croaker, Possible live-lining for striper and flounder

Or heading for DE

Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM. Reason: typo and adding more info

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      Bill,
                      I think the fish ate very well until it took the 9 inch white shad. Yes, the fish was unusually fat. The fillet was firm and thick.

The half circle is made of a rubber hose. The circle and two cleats on the gunwales next to fish finder are to keep dive fins, a spear gun and a PFD. On a Hobie, there isn’t much room for these equipments. I slide the fins and spear gun through the half circle, and secured the other ends to the cleats by using bungee cord and quick links.

In a few months, I will be resuming researching/pursuing kayak-spear-fishing opportunity in VA and DE. This is my research project this year.

Student Joe pursuing MA in catching fish

Is catching fish an Art or Science? MA vs MS

Comment

I am pursuing dual degrees, MA and MS

Efrin,

According to a credible source (desperate house wives in Chantilly), fishing is an Art. When a real man gets off a truck, smelling fish in the Saturday night when his cul-de-sac friends drink wine and watch children playing in the cul-de-sac, he and fishing becomes an art. When his wife says, “Nemo (a terrier) has been fed. Sit here, I have your drink”, and when his wife pat his back head (and Nemo's too), while he drinks next to her, he and fishing becomes beyond art.

Though, I know that the desperate house wives and husbands in the cul-de-sac weren’t quite keen and intelligent on weekends. They understood the cleavage in the water as shapes of structures very well and clearly, but they didn’t picture edges, drop-offs, and crevices quite well. I still had to draw pictures of the under water structures time to time.

I don’t believe art is just opinion. Art is science based on facts.

Wow! This means that I am pursuing dual degrees, MA and MS? All right!
                        No wonder why my Nemo worships me.

Joe
                        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-29-2012, 07:14 PM.

Comment

.....lol.....nicely said.....I think maybe you're pursuing pre-doctoral work too

Comment

I think the art comes in when you have two guys fishing side by side with the same equipment and one guys catches while the other does not. I've been on the artless side of that experience several times, so I clearly need to work on my brush strokes.
                            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                              • Severn River (1:05 drive) for White Perch - Due to the warm winter, this weekend will be the best for WP. ShadyFisher will let us know (look for his posts)
                              Good work on the nice Striper and thanks for the mention, but I think JA Veil and bignose are probably better Perch masters then me on the Severn, but I usually catch my share every summer. My wife outfished me last weekend catching a 10" Perch and I only caught a baby, but we caught some nice crabs.

By the way, the perch masters started catching a few nice Perch lately and it will likely be really good when you are able to go.
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X