Chincoteague doormats 5/26/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chincoteague doormats 5/26/12

I launched from the Queen Sound public boat ramp around 7am. It's a decent ramp with parking for maybe 20 cars/trucks with trailers. There were only 2 other trucks when I arrived. There is also a grassy beach, perfect for launching yaks.

The ramp is just before this bridge. I started fishing the end of the outgoing tide.

Not a bite... until the tide changed, and I hooked this 21" flounder on a Gulp jerk shad (pink/chartreuse). My first flounder ever.

Not another bite until about an hour later, something powerful started taking line out. I thought it was the biggest fish I'd ever caught and was surprised to find that it was a ray... A hard fighting doormat.

Last edited by chex; 05-26-2012, 09:34 PM.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

The rest of the day, I caught only a few crabs.

There were a lot of people fishing this area, but I only saw 2 other fish caught. A throwback and another 21". Lots of kids out with their parents enjoying the nice weather.

I headed back around 2pm and landed on the grassy beach, since by now the boat ramp was seeing non-stop action.

Mike S.
    Hobie Outback

Comment

Congrats on the flounder. The one you have there is probably better than any you would have gotten from an asian market. Haha.
      Sun Fishin'

Comment

Nice going on your flounder. That was a pretty good fish to count as your first ever.

You are brave to bring a decent sized ray into your kayak. They are strong and can thrash around. Some of them have poisonous spines near the base of their tails.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats! Nice looking fish. I guess you didn't have to go to Lotte.

You realize you just gave credibility to that area. Now I want to go there.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice Flounder Chexone!
            Thanks for the report..
            GB

Comment

As mentioned above...thats a nice flounder for your first one ever! Way to go. Enjoy
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                I launched from the Queen Sound public boat ramp around 7am. It's a decent ramp with parking for maybe 20 cars/trucks with trailers. There were only 2 other trucks when I arrived. There is also a grassy beach, perfect for launching yaks.

The ramp is just before this bridge. I started fishing the end of the outgoing tide.

Not a bite... until the tide changed, and I hooked this 21" flounder on a Gulp jerk shad (pink/chartreuse). My first flounder ever.

K

Not another bite until about an hour later, something powerful started taking line out. I thought it was the biggest fish I'd ever caught and was surprised to find that it was a ray... A hard fighting doormat.

Very nice! I went out for 2 hours but only caught the ray good job.
                2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

congrats! on some good work there

if i can get a hook back from a ray/skate? is more than good enough for me. overall, i generally prefer a little distance between them and me, but they do have some serious pull.

not sure if i'll ever learn, but i always think the ray is a giant one of whatever fish it is that i'm targeting for at least a little while. and that is fun.

Comment

Do I have that right

Ok for someone learning the east saltwater this is off Rt 175 Shelly Bay? Just try to get orientated. Thx
                    2010 Hobie ProAngler

Comment

Nice first keeper Chex.
                      2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Efrin,
                        Thanks for the post.
                        I will be there in June after the vacation

joe
                        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

NIIICE MAN! Congrats on researching, putting the time into it and the pay off! Well done...

Justin

Comment

Thanks guys. Definitely rewarding when you get to take something home. Got major brownie points too.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                            You are brave to bring a decent sized ray into your kayak.
                            It's that fine line between brave and stupid that I walk. By the time I got it onboard, it was exhausted, and luckily did not flop around too much. I may leave the next one in the water.

Originally posted by Southerly View Post
                            not sure if i'll ever learn, but i always think the ray is a giant one of whatever fish it is that i'm targeting for at least a little while. and that is fun.
                            Yeah totally fun. I knew it wasn't a huge flounder, but in my mind, I was taking a 50 inch striper home...

Originally posted by AnimalPA View Post
                            Ok for someone learning the east saltwater this is off Rt 175 Shelly Bay? Just try to get orientated. Thx
                            Yep, that's the secret spot. Don't tell anybody

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                            Efrin,
                            Thanks for the post.
                            I will be there in June after the vacation

joe
                            You're welcome! But I'm not Efrin...
                            Mike S.
                            Hobie Outback

Comment

Sorry Mike!
                              I don't know why I typed Efrin.

Joe
                              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                              X