First Report: Hemingways 8/7/2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Report: Hemingways 8/7/2010

After going out with Tj and Redfish12 I decided to fish Hemingway's yesterday with a friend. We were on the water by 6:30am and off by 1pm. Me and my buddy launched and the water started out choppy then turned outright rough and with the tide ripping we had our work cut out for us. We caught about 20 spot at the pilings (#62 and 63) the moved to the double piling (#52?). We got one run immediately and then went without anything for 20mins. I moved in between the double pilings and it was like being in a washing machine but caught a 20" fish immediately. We kept this up all day until the water calmed down at about 11am. We ended up catching 6 a piece from 18"- 24". We lost A LOT of fish (some were pretty big) because of break offs in the pilings. It was hard to chase them between the structure because of current, wind, choppy water, and dragging a bait bucket. Overall a great, but exhausting morning especially after we decided to race back to Hemingway's. I was disappointed because I didn't see one other kayak out there. On the way back in there was a lady sunbathing on the beach we launched from. We thought maybe a fellow fisherman's wife/girlfriend? If her significant other was out fishing it looked like she got the short end of the stick as there were jellyfish, dead crabs, and dead fish strewn about the beach but she didn't seem to care. I definitely plan on going maybe next Saturday and maybe a day during the week if I can. We're there any other reports from Saturday? Fishing seems to be golden as long as the weather is nice. If there's anyone that hasn't gotten out there I seriously recommend it.
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

One thing to add about yesterdays fish. All but one of the fish we caught were super clean with no mycobacteriosis (or however you spell it). In fact, a lot of them had sea lice and I noticed little puddles in my boat had a few sea lice swimming around after we got back to the truck. I cant remember is sea lice is a good sign? That means they recently came from the ocean maybe? Any input on this would be good. I'll see if I can't get a picture of one of the fish we kept to demonstrate the cleanliness. Even the gills were a perfect red color like they had been well oxygenated.
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Man, sounds like good times and really good luck consideing most were clean fish! welcome BTW! what are you yakkin?
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. Im paddling a 5yr old Perception Illusions that's yellow and red. It's old but fast and cheap if anyone has another one laying around they wanna sell I'd be interested, mine has taken quite a beating recently.
        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

have you been yak fishing for a while? where do you typically fish? what do you typically target? your yak is the 14.5' foot right? how do you like it?
          sigpic

Comment

I've been in a yak for about two years but I'm still pretty new. I fish anywhere I can, bay bridge, lynnhaven inlet, 301 bridge, the potomac, etc. With Jamica bay being my favorite by far. I'd like to go for king macs and cobia offshore with redfish 12 next month. We'll see if we can make it happen. The yak is actually 14ft and I love it. Not as stable as most kayaks but not a barge either. I'll upgrade one of these days. Looking at the tarpon 140.
            Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Hey you're posting now! Sounds like you and R had a great time man. I agree J-bay is my favorite so far. We got to do that again for sure.

Let's see those pictures man!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Haha yea I'm finally posting. The two fish kept I gave to R and we didn't take any pictures while we were out so I'm trying to get him to take a couple before he fillets them.
                Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Here's the post I did for our trip to J-Bay. As you can read, I did not include that you caught more fish than me, or that you caught the right kind of fish...

http://www.snaggedline.com/boatyard/...read.php?t=249

I might need to keep my new yak at your place for 2 weeks... that ok? Fell free to test paddle either of them if you'd like...
                  Last edited by Redfish12; 08-09-2010, 11:42 AM.
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

HAHA that's a good post that it definitely captures the frustration and fatigue. Keeping the kayak here is no problem and I wanna see if I can flycast on that new ride 135.
                    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Welcome kanvery! You coming out next Saturday?

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! And yup I'll be out there on Saturday with a fresh pack of Gulps or some other lure to contribute.
                        Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Working...
                        X