Cast Nets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Nets

Can anyone recommend a good brand of cast net. I have never used one and not fimilar with any brand. I am probably going to use one of the 10' size. There seems to be quite a range in prices.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM. Reason: mistake

I would see if I could try a few first ......... there's several varibles you need to consider that relate to the depth and the fish you are tring to catch (weight and mesh size) ......... in addition, a 10 ft for a beginner will take alot of practice ..........

Comment

I agree, a 10 footer for a beginner can be pretty tough. If you're up higher like in a boat you have some extra time for the net to unfold but from the ground it's a lot harder. I'd try starting out with a smaller net especially if you're going to throw it in the surf. I know some guys down here in SC (where I am right now) that throw a 4 footer from their kayaks for mullet. I don't think I'm there yet.

The guys that I fish with at Smith Mountain Lake say that these are the best - http://corefishingtackle.com/CalusaCrackerCastNets.html but they are way too freaking expensive for me. If you net a stump that's a lot of money down the drain. I'll see if I can find a cheaper one to use as an example.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Are you planning to use this from a yak or shore?

Like the others said a 10 ft net will take some practice.

From a Kayak i would think anything over 6ft would be to hard to manage from a sitting position.

Check out YouTube there are some good videos on how to use a cast net while sitting.

Comment

ive been practicing with mine from shore, this might take a wlile

Comment

Cast Nets

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am planning to use the net from shore or from a dock. I am a little chubby guy. Standing in a kayak is probably not for me. I may scale back to a 6' or 8' net, based on the comments. I just thought it would be nice to catch some small bait before I go out in the kayak. I usually use hook and line to make bait. Again, thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X