Hampton Bar & HRBT-North Thurs 5-17-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hampton Bar & HRBT-North Thurs 5-17-12

Launched off Ft Monroe about 0830 hrs. Some sun in the am, but became cloudy, choppy and breezy.

Targeting flounder, I jigged a bucktail w/ squid along the edges of Hampton Bar next to HRBT. I went to as deep as 40 feet. Nothing. The wind picked up quite a bit and chops were about 2 feet, so I had to cut my flounder search short.

I went to the more protected area closer to shore. Worked the north end HRBT pilings. I got annoyed because croakers were hitting my squid on the bucktail. So, I switched to a tandem rig with squid. I got a lot of hits and must have caught over two dozen croakers. Many of them were good for live-lining. The largest was 14". I took home a few.

Finally, I jigged the bucktail/squid near the launch area and was surprised to catch a 15" blue, my first for the year.

Again, wx forecast sucked.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

You are a beast!

Yes the winds are going to be bad this week. Good thing I'm wasn't planning to fish there

Comment

Thanks for the post! Nice blue, good way to start catching them. My first blues are usually around 8 or 9 inches. Me and a friend are heading down to York River State Park this weekend to try for some of those croakers, hopefully they co-operate as nicely as they did for you.

Comment

Nice work.. Sounds like a fun day on the water.

Meadeo
        2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Nice report! Glad you were about to adjust the plan a little bit to get some fish in the yak. I'll take a nice Blue like that any day!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
          X