Tommoro Morning Hemmingway's 08/05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommoro Morning Hemmingway's 08/05

I am not going to be able to fish until the meet and greet, so working a half day in the afternoon tomorrow and going out to fish early. Should be there around 6. I gotta get a trip in after watching Kayak Kevin's DVD which arrived earlier today, talk about something that gives you the fever. If anyone has a lax work schedule and wants to join me, feel free!

TJ

Good luck out there! I'm in South Carolina for the next week so I can't join. Let us know how you do!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Good luck, TJ! I'd love to but have got family in town and I'm taking the nephews on a boat tomorrow. (Ages 10 & 13) I see a lot of white perch in my immediate future!

Comment

im off tomorrow so i might join you...what time you planning on being at hemmingways?
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I woke up bright and early around 4:30 and headed down to Hangler's to grab some more circle hooks and night crawlers. When I got to the beach, I enjoyed the scene on the water, empty, not too hot, and not rough. Made my way through the sea weed or whatever had washed up, along with all the garbage. Hit the same spot as before for..well, spot, and they started hitting within' seconds of the bait hitting the water. Except for when the rod bent over a bit more from double headers of White Perch..with some size to them! Must have released one white perch for every two spot. I filled my bucket with about 8 spot, (Should have gotten more!), and started paddling further down the pylons, tossing one over at a set of doubles or triples I think in 12' of water. Did the normal thing around that set of pylons, then slowly paddled to the next set after no action. I left my spot in the water purposely, and that was a good choice apparently.

As I was paddling to the next set of pylons, I watched the tip go mad as the bait freaked out, followed by the doubling over of the rod, which I grabbed from between my knees as I felt him start peelin' out that line. Love that sound! I brought him in and with much splashing at the surface, I decided to land the first fish with the boga grip. You never know how the rest of the day is going to go, I always seem to handle that first ones extra careful! A nice healthy fish with no visible sores, a quick lift out of the water for a quick picture and then back in and a healthy release. The next fish was my largest, definitely bigger then the ones I caught on my last trip, probably around 24-26 at my best guess. I caught him at one of the larger sets of Pylons, of course I left my tape measure in the truck and the camera malfunctioned when I had him propped across the opening to my cockpit for the shots I took of him. So no pics at all. He also was healthy. The next two fish were smaller, and both had sores. I took a picture of one, hate to see that mycobacteriosis, if that is what it is. I pretty much had the place to myself, I saw two other boats fishing closer to the middle span of the bridge.
          The first four fish came relatively quickly, I caught the first within 15 minutes, the others close there after, an hour and half at most I would guess. Then the tide changed to match the wind, and I really had to work at not getting pushed away from the bridge, or against the Pylons.
          I had a 5th fish hooked that got off, and he killed my 3rd to last spot. Then I broke off my spot rig and found out I forgot my bottom-rigs at the truck. Then I snagged my next spot on something and lost him. My last spot I paddled around a bit, and I eventually reeled him in to check him, and only his head was left. Dang blue ate my last spot.

In defeat, I tossed on a crank-bait and trolled that around to find the culprits, and I caught a blue that I was seriously considering live-lining before the little bugger slipped outta my hands. Tiny thing, barely bigger then the crank bait. On the westbound span, there was a line of minnows stretching the whole length of the bridge that was non-stop...It was crazy. Thousands of them in this little line of shade... I dragged my crankbait behind me and paddled next to this line of minnows the whole way back in, it was crazy seeing hundreds of them splash out of the water each time my padal hit the water. Not surprised I couldn't get any bites on the west span, what ever was on that side today could gorge themselves to death if they wanted. I have never seen such a thing..just bait balls, not bait lines..that go forever and ever. Wish the pictures could have shown that, but no dice.

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
            Good luck, TJ! I'd love to but have got family in town and I'm taking the nephews on a boat tomorrow. (Ages 10 & 13) I see a lot of white perch in my immediate future!
            Thanks! Seemed luck was with me. I think you will slay the white perch, the nephews should have a blast!

TJ

Comment

Doh, I actually went this morning and worked in the afternoon. You should hit it tommoro though!

Comment

Great work man! Good to hear the fish are still cooperating!

Glad the nightcrawlers worked for you, I would have felt bad if I led you astray.

Comment

Thanks, those crawlers work great, and soooo much cheaper! When I saw how well they worked for you, that really surprised me. Enjoy testing out that hobie.

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                  Great work man! Good to hear the fish are still cooperating!

Glad the nightcrawlers worked for you, I would have felt bad if I led you astray.

Comment

They were on fire that day. I also think it's the beads, for some reason beads = more spot for me. I take away the beads and I get more perch/croaker... I know it doesn't make sense... but it seems to be true.

Hobie guy was sketchy, doubt I'll get a chance to buy it. They're will be more of them though..

Comment

Working...
                    X