More Occoquan 5/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Occoquan 5/12

Finally had a weekend free and took my brother kayaking for his first time. I brought frogs to target snakehead, along with spinner baits and rattle traps for my medium action set up with 30lb braid. Also brought two ultra light rods, one with 4lb mono and the other with 6lb. Started throwing a rattle trap and the frog up in the rocks, had a fellow on shore hook a nice looking largemouth next to me before I took my brother down the river and I started hitting the boat docks along the north shore with a 3" grub on a 1/16 jig head. I hooked a small large mouth and thought to myself, okay great, got the skunk off! Moved up to the next Gazebo and threw underneath it and felt a great weight, I thought I had snagged bottom until it I felt the head shaking and the line peeled off. Of course I am not throwing my nice hefty 30lb braid set up but the rod with 4lb I am using for crappie. I fought it for a few minutes and it tired out and started to get close to the boat and I saw it was a snake head! And there was a much larger one following it. I was prepared for the 4lb to give out just from the teeth scratching it up but netted it into the yak and got it on ice in the back hatch. Measured out at 24" and I could not locate his bigger companion after that, so switched back to crappie and managed a few for the fryer.
    Attached Files

Wow, a snakehead on 4# mono!?!?! Dang, that's good. Congrats!

I usually use 12# mono for bass and perch and consider it barely enough for snakeheads so I use 20# braid. Your catch on 4# mono tells me it can be done on light line now. Thanks for the report.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Awesome fish, TJ. That must've been a rush.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Wow cool! Always fun to catch an unexpected big fish on the ultralight (and land it). Snakehead are a beautiful fish. I've yet to catch one.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Great catch on such a light line! awesome job!
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Nice Crappie and congrats on the Snakehead. I've been meaning to get out to Occoquan, thanks for the report.
            Yellow Submarine - Hobie PA
            Stealth Green Tarpon 140
            Orange Koho Perception

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for sharing
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice job...what ridiculous looking fish, these snakeheads

Comment

Working...