Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudee Inlet Fri/Sat 11-12 May 2012

Friday

Was on the water by 0930 hrs. A little breezy, but generally a nice day.

Briefly worked the boat piers, but spent most of the time at the inlet jigging a white bucktail tipped with squid. Caught six flounder (3 shorties, and 3 keepers at 16.5, 16.5 and 18"). Actually, one of the keepers was caught off a jighead with a white plastic twister near the grassy area across from the boat launch. (Finally, after catching shorties last year, I take home my first keeper )

I also used a rat-L-trap for a little while hoping for blues or stripers. Instead, caught a short speck. The second short speck was caught off the bucktail with squid.

I was off the water about 5 pm, stayed overnight, and looked forward to the next day at the same place.

Saturday

Met HokieDJ at the launch and we were on the water just after 7 am. The day was nice and better than the previous day. Sunny with light breeze. Lots of boats (fishing and entertainment), lots of fishing and touring kayaks, and lots of shore fisherman.

Worked on the inside of the inlet and the side channel across the shore fisherman's railing. Used the bucktail for flounder, but caught nothing. Went outside of the inlet with a tandem rig (shrimp and squid) and caught a skate on a circle hook with squid.

I was ready to quit after seven and half hours on the water, but stayed another half hour because I caught a 17" flounder on the grassy side located on the far side of the launch. Within five minutes of that catch, caught my unintentional first croaker of the year (a 13 1/2 incher). Both were caught on a jighead with a white plastic twister.

All in all, they were pretty good days at Rudee. (Thanks to HokieDJ for showing me recent Rudee reports - it weighed heavily in me changing my plan from Roosevelt Inlet to Rudee Inlet)

Total catch for two days:
    3 short flounder
    4 keeper flounder
    2 specks
    1 skate
    1 croaker
    5 blue crab (on my bucktail w/ squid)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 05-14-2012, 08:04 AM. Reason: Rudee Inlet Fri/Sat 11-12 May 2012
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Nice report! Gratz on the flatties, those are by far my favorite fish to eat. Is it just me or are the croakers running in fewer numbers then they were this time last year? I have pictures from May 8th last year catching a bunch out in front of North Beach.

Comment

x2 on congrats on flatties! looks like nice fishing all around

Comment

Nice job Tufnik. You got a good variety of fish, including some tasty ones for the cooler.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Took me over an hour to do the fillets, but isn't this plate of 12 flounder fillets impressive? It's from three flounder. I gave the fourth flounder to my neighbor.
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm jealous. I have to get that monkey off my back somehow. Maybe this coming Sunday!

Comment

Congrats on the flatties and all the other fish. Nice bunch of fillets, too. I hope more flounder make it up here than in the past few years.

There is a quick way to fillet flounder that I've had good luck with. On the dark side of the flounder, make a cut across the narrow area just before the tail (caudal peduncle). Near the middle of the cut, you'll find the spin. Slide the dull side of the fillet knife in along the spine but above the little bones that separate the sides of the flounder. This is easier if the blade of the knife isn't too curved. I start on the side opposite the anus and gut. Once you've gotten the blade in as far as it'll go, slice toward the outside of the fish (away from the spine) while angling the blade downward slightly. You might have to do this process twice if the flounder is long. After I do that half, I repeat the process on the gut side of the flounder. All the meat should come off in one big fillet, which I then split down the middle where the spine was and skin. Repeat the process for the underside (white side) of the fish. With a little practice, you'll get four nice fillets from each fish.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Very cool, and good looking fish. Blue crabs?? I assume they're just holding on and aren't hooked?
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I don't think the croakers are around in great numbers yet, but there were a bunch at Rudee. Two yakers were drinking beer and fishing with squid (They were loud and having fun). They caught many croakers. One of the guys said his other friend caught a grouper near that grassy center island. Didn't know you could catch groupers there. On the other hand, maybe the guy had too many beers.

Rudee again, Dave? I'm thinking about trying Hampton Bar this week.

Bill,
                  Hard to visualize your method. I did use Robb's method:
                  [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rOoAkpFw4"]Flounder Fillet How-To! - YouTube[/ame]

I'm just slow in doing it carefully cuz I try not to waste meat.

Yeah, the blue crabs held on to the bucktail/squid until I lifted it above water. I really didn't expect them to catch the squid while the bait was being jigged up and down during the drift.
                  Last edited by tufnik; 05-14-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I can only do Sunday. Maybe saturday night. Let me know if you are game.

Comment

Robb's method works well, too, but the way I learned requires fewer passes with the knife. I'll see if I can draw up a diagram some time this week.
                      Last edited by ictalurus; 05-14-2012, 04:15 PM.
                      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Can't do Sunday, Dave. Have an event to attend with my wife. A Sat morning launch is the best I could do. I'm still thinking of doing Lewes or Hampton Bar the next couple of days.

Ate the fried flounder last night. Man, it was so good! Among the best. Almost forgot what fresh flounder taste like.

Comment

Working...
                        X