Occoquan 5/5/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan 5/5/12

I fished Occoquan yesterday for the first time and although the big one got away, it was still a pretty good day.

I met up with Sun at the launch at about 6:30 am and we set off to the first marina below the 95 bridge. Here i caught two crappie and a small striper and Sun caught a bunch of catfish and a bass. Later we moved down to the large boat house past the Jefferson Davis bridge. The bite was on at this boat house as I caught over 2 dz crappie here and Sun caught lots of fish too. Most of the Crappie that i caught were not very big, but it was still fun. At one corner of the boathouse, i hooked up with a solid bass probably close to 3 pounds, but he jumped completely out of the water and threw the hook.

We fished beyond the boat house around some spatterdock and i caught my first catfish of the day and not much after that caught another smaller one. I brought some salties to try for big flathead catfish, so we moved back to the 95 bridge to see if any were around. After trying a couple of different spots for about an hour and losing my anchor, I gave up on trying for the flatheads and shot a few more docks to try to find some more crappie. I had a few good bites, but only caught an 8" bluegill.

So, a total of four species for me on the day. I will definately be back to fish this body of water, very cool place!

Here's a few pics:

Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

I had a good time fishing the occoquan for the first time. I was originally going to go to bushwood to see if I could get some blue cats and croakers, but saw that Ryan was fishing for cats too on the occoquan...so I joined him.

I caught 6 species of fish - largemouth bass, striped bass, channel catfish (on gulp minnows, of all things...), a blue cat, crappie, and white perch. Interesting that you can catch all of these out of the same body of water!

I wrote a more complete story of the day on my blog : sun fishin'
    Sun Fishin'

Comment

Good meeting you bumping into you at the launch.

It was slow but managed a few snake heads..

Meadeo
      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

nice man...that thing is massive.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Yeah, nice snakehead. Didn't know a bunch was there. Is the area you caught them north of the boat launch?
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice write-up Sun and nice snakehead Meadeo! One day I will catch one of those...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Cool pictures.
              US Army (Retired)

Hobie Pro Angler 14 & Outback

Comment

Very cool. These awesome reports from that area are killing me. I don't know when I'll be able to get out there and try my luck.
                Last edited by ictalurus; 05-07-2012, 04:13 PM.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Sounds like the tidal Potomac is on. Great multi-species day right there. Congrats, guys.

Nice pike Meado! Judging from it's girth I bet it was full of eggs.

Comment

Nice snake what did it measure?

Comment

32" long and it had some serious girth...

I did not weight it but i would estimate every bit of 9-10 lbs..

Meadeo

PS.

Side note friend of mine got one that was 38-39" and close to 15 lbs i would estimate from the same area... That thing had one scary large head and mouth hahaha...

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
                        32" long and it had some serious girth...
                        Side note friend of mine got one that was 38-39" and close to 15 lbs i would estimate from the same area... That thing had one scary large head and mouth hahaha...
                        WHAT!?? Holy crap! Kanvery caught a 26"er and THAT seemed big. I might need to step up my braid, HA
                        -Jon
                        Revo 13

Comment

THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT!!! Nice fish!

Comment

Hey Meadeo, very nice snakehead indeed. I'd be very interested in knowing what you caught it on. Also, I'm sure you cleaned and ate it. Did you note the color of the flesh? I've seen a photo of snakehead fillets and the meat was a very nice pale rosy red, very appetizing looking.
                            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Just so happens i took a photo of the fillets. They tasted GREAT.

Brother did a fresh basil rub and we grilled them over open flame.

Leftovers?

I think not!

Meadeo

Comment

Working...
                              X