Catawba River NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catawba River NC

Over the weekend I traveled down to Lake James State Park in Nebo, NC to float the Catawba river with my father, uncle, and some friends. It was a long drive but well worth it! I paddled my Trident 13 for the weekend, first time I've taken it on the river/whitewater and it handled it great. We fished Friday and Saturday all day and floated the 8 miles from the dam down to the second bridge. Due to the hard work of Trout Unlimited the river now has improved/regulated flow and the river is now safe to float. I will say this, check the schedule because a few gates can make a big difference!

Friday was our best day numbers wise with everyone (but one person...) in the group catching rainbow, brook, and brown trout (brown being the most prevalent). The water upstream was fast and difficult to fish from my kayak, but the guys in the pontoon boats were able to put their feet down and pull a few from several holes that I flew right past. It was alright though because I was definitely the hot hand of the day. One of the guys in the group got a really fat stocked rainbow and we decided to start a dinner stringer of only stocked trout. I added another decent rainbow and a large yellow perch (it was a surprise catch!). Friday's dinner was wild sockeye salmon from Alaska that my uncle had caught so the trout were for Saturday night. It ended up being a good idea to keep them on Friday.

Here's some Friday Dinner shots:

Saturday the schedule was calling for a larger release... it was right on. We took our time on Friday but already within an hour we were well beyond where we were on Friday after 2 or 3 hours. Fishing was SLOW. We started to put together a pattern, fish were deep and we were jigging them here and there. I had the hot hand again and my secret both days was hot-rodded tiny bass assassins. No joke, LTJ-ing works on trout too! I caught numerous fish on the fly on Friday, but it was a lot of work on the kayak so I did more LTJ. Anyway, Saturday was tough, probably only caught 9 or 10 in the whole 8 miles and all wild browns. Remember how I said all but one caught trout on Friday... well he had exactly one trout on the line on Saturday, just so happened to be a nice 17.5" wild brown trout! Beautiful fish and it added some credibility to the stories we had heard about 30"+ brown trout being in the river system. It ended up being a fun day, everyone caught fish, we ran some fun rapids, and we had some laughs. I'm looking forward to going back next year.

Saturday's Dinner & Other shots:

I have some more pictures on my other camera I need to load on my computer of the trout. Do they count for Kayak Wars?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Nice pics Michael. Looks like a good time had by all.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Sounds like an awesome trip, Michael. It's hard to beat catching nice fish with the old man. What did you think of the pontoon boats? When I first started thinking about buying a watercraft of some sort, I spent a lot of time looking at those in the Bass Pro and Cabelas catalogs.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Awesome looking trip! Wild browns?!? Nice. Up to maybe 30" ?!? Nicer!!

How long was the drive?

Comment

sweet!! I had looked into getting one of those pontoon floats before I decided to get a kayak back in the day.

Comment

Man that looks like some mighty fine camp food, nice catch on the trout too!
            '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
            '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
            Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll put some more pictures up tonight. I fished from my trident 13 not one of the pontoons. It was helpful for the flat water but made the rapids more interesting, especially when the flow was way up. Rapids that were barely a concern the day prior were another class higher at least on the second day. I had a blast paddling the river which is something I miss about my canoe days back on the New River. I was also able to stand and fly cast which helped me catch a few more.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there are trout on kayak wars!! nice work Michael

Comment

As promised... I really need to work on the video editing skills!

Comment

Now that's a nice fishing trip!
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Wow, now that is a shore dinner! Sounds like you gents had a blast.
                      Cliff Williams
                      Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Working...
                      X