Another Nags Head Pier Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Nags Head Pier Report

Ran down again Sunday for the blues, after learning how to smoke them last week, can't get enough. South 664 bridge /tunnel was closed for paving and detour was fun, you know how that goes. Weather was chilly and overcast until the end of the day with good sunshine popping thru. Avalon Pier was productive in the morning. After lunch, made the move up to Jeanette's Pier, mainly for a change of scenery. Blues (13-14") came back slowly in late afternoon. Water temp @ 60. Some mullet and a couple a blow fish. Down and back same day for Blues, what an idiot, but i do love em smoked.
    Last edited by mango; 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM.

I'd be interested in your smoked blue recipe. Also, any word on any Kings being caught yet?
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I hear there are all the blues you want right now in Lynnhaven/Rudee. Closer than nags head, that's for sure.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

thanks for the report and x2 on smoke method. but i just have regular charcoal grill so far.

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
          I hear there are all the blues you want right now in Lynnhaven/Rudee. Closer than nags head, that's for sure.
          that is probably where i should have gone, for an unknown reason, my car keeps heading south. I need to get that fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by kanvery View Post
            I'd be interested in your smoked blue recipe. Also, any word on any Kings being caught yet?
            Several pin rigs set up, no bites that I saw either weekend. Nor have I heard of any. Sorry, should be getting close.

Hear goes for the smoked Bluefish recipe. I used two recipes, the second one I deleted the soy and added brown surgar and some crused black pepper.

3/4 c sugar
            3/4 c salt ( i used pickling, has no added chemicals)
            1 qt. warm water (helps to disolve ingred.)
            1/2 c soy sauce
            Dill
            squirt of lemon

I brined them overnight in the fridge. After, I let them sit on racks for 2-3 hrs. to let them develope what I think is called a pellicle. Kind of a film over the fish, suppose to hold in the moisture by sealing the fish. It allows the smoke to adhere better. Sprinkled on some Dill. I have a gas grill. Bought a cast iron smoke box at HD for 11 bucks and filled this with wood chips, mesquete is what I had on hand but any hardwood will do for smoke. I soak the chips for 30 minutes, then fill the box with them. As for the grill, I only turned the far right burner on low, waited 1/2 hour and checked the temp. 120 is where it was and that was in the range I was looking for. I put the smoke box ontop of the flames, set the fish on the grates and waited 2 hrs. This seemed to do it. I did fill the box up once more with chips but I think I could have gone all the way on one load. For me, the fish came out great, but I will eat just about anything. I did not rinse my filets off after brining. I read that some do. My fish were salty, but I like that. The kids and wife went in for it to, but I hadn't fed them for a week.

Some folks really don't care for Bluefish. I have always liked the smaller ones fried up for a sandwhich. Important to get the Blue on ice immediately, filet and skin the fish for frying, smoking purposes leave the skin on. Also, keep the filets out of the water, pat dry if you can, water will make mush out of a filet in a short time.

Nice to have another option to frying. I would like hear from anyone who might have their own special recipe for smoking fish. My wife put some on top of a salid and I am thinking of making a smoked fish chowder. Onced smoked, it also can be frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by mango View Post
              that is probably where i should have gone, for an unknown reason, my car keeps heading south. I need to get that fixed.
              Hate when that happens. Sounds like your car might have the same problem as my truck. I think mine might "act up" again this weekend.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I like the taste of a fresh bluefish better than rockfish. If I decided to keep bluefish, I take only enough for one meal and make sure I eat it the same day or no later than the next day. I like blues in the 15"-20" range -- they are not as strong tasting as the larger fish.

I fillet the fish and remove the dark red section. I broil or grill them with some blackened spices. That is some fine eatin'
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the report! I tried my hand at smoking fish for the first time a few weeks ago with trout. I pretty much followed the same method with the gas grill and smoke box that you did, however I only soaked in salt water for an hour and then left it to dry (after rinse off) in the fridge over night. I smoked the whole trout minus the head and guts. I was not crazy about the way it turned out but thought it was ok. Didn't really seem worth all the time that went into it. Maybe I need to tweak the recipe more toward yours to add a little bit more flavor.

I also enjoy fresh fried Bluefish and even tried Bluefish sashimi last year.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

+1 on smoked bluefish. I always thought baked or fried bluefish was "just OK tasting," until someone told me to try it smoked. My wife used a recipe off the internet and smoked the blue in The Big Green Egg, and man, it was delicious.

They also say to minimize the fishy taste, you ought to cut the gills to bleed them right after you catch them. Anyone do this?
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

thanks for the recipe. i've only bought it from the seafood store and like to snack on it along with a beer out on the deck but did not know anyway to prepare myself.

and x2, or 3 wherever we are on eating fresh bluefish.

Comment

I am smoking Bluefish as I write this, didn't get to it last night and letting them brine another day should be ok, we'll see here shortly.

Need somebody to show /explain the gill cutting thing and letting it bleed out. Sounds like a good idea to me. ok up on a pier, might get a little messy on the yak. Anything would help.

I have been saving all the trimmings from the Bluefish and throwing them in the freezer. NOTE to self - Keep the ziplocks closed tight, had a whole batch of ice taste like fish. Wife looked at me funny and i told her the freezer must be broken and snuk the bag into the chest freezer. So I was thinking these cuts would make good chum. Anybody do much chumming from their kayak and would the blues work as good as menhaden? Just thinking....

Comment

Working...
                        X