X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Togging the Rock Pile in Cape Henlopen State Park, DE - April 28, 2012

Togging the Rock Pile in Cape Henlopen State Park, DE April 28, 2012

It was a chilly day.

I fished and dove in 3-10’ of water at the rock pile. I gave up spear-fishing in an hour due to the very poor visibility (about 3’)

Fished for tog with extra large frozen shrimp. I had more bites that a couple using green crab. Though he landed a 23.5” (8 lb), and I landed a 16 incher. I had 6 tog bites and hooked 4. Because the tog were on the bottom of the deep cracks when they ate the bait, I couldn’t bring them up immediately. I brought one 24 incher on the top in few minutes, but the leader broke off right next to the gunwale. That was a heart breaker. Later I landed one at 16 incher. It took almost 5 minutes to pry the 16 inch tog out of the crack.

I learned few things about the rock pile:
    Tog fishing in the shallow water (3-10’)
    I will use 40# test fluorocarbon leader – I used to use 30# test mono
    Light sinker (2-3 oz) - the water is shallow
    2/0 - 3/0 hook if shrimp is used
    Bring a striper lure

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice job, Joe. Maybe visibility will be better next time. Good to hear keeper togs can be caught there. Have you tried Roosevelt Inlet (RI)? It's north side next to CHSP. Launch is at the Lewes Boat Ramp. I've fished there last year for flounder, blues, specks and shark.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going to RI or CHSP in 1-2 weeks for togs and flounder. Hope there is keeper flounder biting, and of course, hope the weather cooperates.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I can't quite tell. Did you fish the West short jetty next to the pier or the long jetty on the east side?

Comment

That's awesome Joe. Sounds like a great scouting trip. Those are big tog!

How cold was the water?
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          I can't quite tell. Did you fish the West short jetty next to the pier or the long jetty on the east side?
          The long jetty on the East. The rock pile is a mile long and it is like an island. It is bent in the middle. The locals like the point (where the bent is) in the middle of the jetty on the NE side. The locals anchored very close to the jetty.

You will feel big rocks in 3-5’ down. Then you will feel the bottom 6-8’ down between rocks. That’s where togs are. You set the hook and you feel like the rig is stuck in a crack or between two rocks. Then in minutes when you try to free the rig, you will feel a tog moving. This was quite different from CBBT or Kipto because you will be fising in very shallow water

I think the jetty area is good for striper and flounder. For flounder, I will look for the drop off (NW tip) . Next time I will be trying for flounder too.

BTW, I haven’t fished RI yet.

Joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-04-2012, 05:42 AM.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Did the locals fish for togs too when they anchored close to the long north jetty?

When I go there, I think I would fish at RI for a little while, then maybe head for the north jetty. Looks like the north jetty is two miles from RI. Hope the chops aren't too bad.

I'll take your advice about bringing striper lures. I also have some Gulp Alive for tipping my bucktails.

Is there a fee for the Park? There's no fee to launch off the boat ramp.

Comment

Looks like there's a small parking lot at the beach and short drag thru the sand to the beach. It should be a quick peddle to the south jetty.

Comment

Tufnik
                The best parking spot at CHSP is the parking lot for the Fishing PIER. It is little tricky to find the lot. Ask an attendant for the direction when you pay $8.00 (out of state). You must have a cart. The path to the beach is between the pier and the bath house. The powdery sandy path is shorter than that of the Kipto. But still it is hard when coming back against uphill. I made two trips. I carry everything on the kayak first. Then I drag an empty kayak.
                Since I have 4x4, I drove on the beach to find the spot where I can park the truck and launch the kayak. But I couldn’t find the good launch spot toward the Rock Pile. I will try to find the park and launch spot again next time I visit CHSP.
                The catching part wasn’t good for pier and surf fishermen that day. Only one guy told me that he caught a small flounder and a small shark. There weren’t many fishermen because it was a chilly day. I think next weekend will be better
                Michael and I brought an OK trident 13 (no rudder) and Perception 12.5 (no rudder) to the fishing pier last year. To me, regular kayak is better than Hobie because there are so many submerged wooden pilings under/near the pier. The depth is about 10’ within 1.5 miles from the shore. You don’t even need a FF on the kayak. There were some deep spots (20-30’) where south east tip of the Rock pile island. But 10’ is the normal depth.

The locals at the rock pile fished for Tog only.

Joe
                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-30-2012, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Joe,

Why didn't you park here?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.795...9&z=20&iwloc=A

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                    Because I didn't pre-studied the launch spot.
                    I am not sure if I drove to the parking lot you indicated. I measured the lengths of soft and dry sandy paths from some parking lots to the water. My after market cart does not come with fat wheels. I found that the sandy path next to the fishing pier was the shortest. I would pedal/paddle an additional mile over dragging a cart 200'.

Besides, I wanted water after fishing even though I carried 4 gallons of water. I would be soaked in the salt water.

Next time I will look for the parking lot you mentioned first.

Thanks,
                    Joe

Comment

Great intel Joe! I didn't know that parking lot was there either!! Definitely good to know, however on a nice day I am sure it is a PITA to launch there when the trucks are out! LOL I am going to have to add this to my toggin spots.... Its a much shorter drive than Kipto!

Comment

I see trucks on the beach on the other side of the point. I wonder if you can drive to the beach, drop off the yak, then park in that lot.

How long is the drive from Chantilly?

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                          I see trucks on the beach on the other side of the point. I wonder if you can drive to the beach, drop off the yak, then park in that lot.

How long is the drive from Chantilly?
                          2 hours and 40 minutes. Less than CBBT, one hour less than Kipto. But watch the speed limits in some areas.

I will see if I can drive to the beach and drop off the kayak next time. I will bring a portable air compressor because I didn’t see an air station

Though, the path next to the fishing pier is not bad and the fishing pier will be good place for flounder

Joe
                          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-30-2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Awesome as always Joe, keep up the good work
                            '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                            '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                            Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Great report! I fish this area often year round and often catch Tog as a accidental by catch when fishing for flounder or croaker.

There is a small boat flounder tourney coming up soon in the Lewes canal. The entry fee is $25 and goes toward a children's charity through the local Lions club.

The tourney on a Friday and is a great time for all. There are no kayak entries as of yet, but you guys can change that. I have a chartered trip the next morning out of VA beach, so I will not be fishing it.

Here is the link

http://www.lewesharbourmarina.com/

Just call and ask if you are interested.

Also IF ANYONE WANTS TO GO OUT WITH ME...i can put you on some nice secret flounder spots. I would love some company on the water.

PS...from Reston...so maybe we can split gas sometime.

Comment

Working...
                              X