This weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekend

I have been out of town for the past week and am starting to think about fishing sometime this weekend. I came from Vegas, so I promise I didn't bring the cold/wet weather with me. We did need the rain though. That being said I imagine most places are muddy or badly stained. Where's everyone going? It's going to warm up a bit Saturday and even warmer Sunday. Where are the bass?
    -Jon
    Revo 13

I have been catching many 15-18 inch LM Bass on the Occoquan River along the boat dock, the bridge pilings, and in the flats (2-4 ft.) in the emerging grass beds. Most of my fish have been caught on chrome & blue rattle-traps; several have been on scum frogs also. Another great place has been Pohick Bay especially towards the opening to the Potomac River & Fort Belovior (the water goes from 6 feet and drops to 45 feet quickly)I caught 30 fish last Thursday there, all on a rattle-trap lure. Last I would recommend Leesylvania SP launch site, I caught “Boocoo” fish two weeks ago there.

PS the Stripers are starting to hit those spots too.
    Attached Files
    US Army (Retired)

Hobie Pro Angler 14 & Outback

Comment

Nice catch! I wonder how the cold front effected the pattern and where they are sitting. It's SO close to bedding time but the temp just isn't there.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

Some of the fish that I caught show signs of being on the bed now, ie bloody tails and gashes on their bodies.
        US Army (Retired)

Comment

I looks like the weather should be great for fishing tomorrow

Saturday, April 28 Hour-by-Hour Weather Forecast for Woodbridge, VA
          7 am 41°F Mostly Cloudy N 4 mph
          8 am 42°F Mostly Cloudy NNE 4 mph
          9 am 45°F Mostly Cloudy NE 4 mph
          10 am49°FMostly Cloudy ENE 4 mph
          11 am52°F Mostly Cloudy ESE 4 mph
          12 pm 54°F Mostly Cloudy SE 5 mph
          1 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SE 6 mph
          2 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SSE 7 mph
          3 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SSE 8 mph
          4 pm 55°F Showers SSE 8 mph

****Water Temperature: 61°
          US Army (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by mcveyr View Post
            I looks like the weather should be great for fishing tomorrow

Saturday, April 28 Hour-by-Hour Weather Forecast for Woodbridge, VA
            7 am 41°F Mostly Cloudy N 4 mph
            8 am 42°F Mostly Cloudy NNE 4 mph
            9 am 45°F Mostly Cloudy NE 4 mph
            10 am49°FMostly Cloudy ENE 4 mph
            11 am52°F Mostly Cloudy ESE 4 mph
            12 pm 54°F Mostly Cloudy SE 5 mph
            1 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SE 6 mph
            2 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SSE 7 mph
            3 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SSE 8 mph
            4 pm 55°F Showers SSE 8 mph

****Water Temperature: 61°
            Looks good to me. A little chilly, but it could be worse. I've never been to Pohick, but that drop off you speak off sounds appealing.
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

I'm going somewhere tomorrow but haven't decided where to yet! I'm torn between Pohick and Leesylvania right now. Maybe the tides will help me decide....
              www.anglerswithoutborders.com
              Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Both are new places to me. Let me know what you decide and I may see you there. I've always noticed it's more productive to have more lines in the water.
                -Jon
                Revo 13

Comment

The attach picture has the "Soundings in Meters" data from NOAA GIS link: http://ocs-spatial.ncd.noaa.gov/encdirect/viewer.htm to show you data about water depth.
                  Attached Files
                  US Army (Retired)

Comment

I'll have to give it some more thought but I'm leaning towards Pohick and see what I can do on topwater. Particularly if the winds are gonna stay down for a bit.
                    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

If you do go there note the time for high tide for targeting fish in the back bay, there is both bass & snakeheads, it is not really good if you don’t have at least two feet of water to work with. Frogs in and around the pads are productive, and Zara-Spooks work in open water right now, trust me. In the 3-6 foot deep areas go with Rattle-Traps for the best action, again trust me on this.
                      US Army (Retired)

Comment

Last weekend we targeted snakehead in the Occ and at Leesylvania. No luck but we did see a whole bunch. Stripers are def in at Occ but Im not sure how thick yet. Last year it was fun jigging for them.

We may head down to the lower rapp to catch croakers. They are def in.
                        Hobie Outback
                        WS Tarpon
                        IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Originally posted by kanvery View Post
                          I'll have to give it some more thought but I'm leaning towards Pohick and see what I can do on topwater. Particularly if the winds are gonna stay down for a bit.
                          Its a little closer for me. I have a few frogs still in their box
                          -Jon
                          Revo 13

Comment

Stripers that I have caught so far have all been between 8 and 24 inches long IVO the Potomac River tributaries. Please note the regulations regarding catching any stripers on the Potomac River; any targeting of stripers require a barbless lure until 16 May (****above the 301 bridge). http://www.prfc.state.va.us/sports/BLUE%20SHEET.pdf
                            US Army (Retired)

Comment

I'm headed to Pohick in the morning if for no other reason than its really close. I'll leave the rest up to the fish gods to see if they'll give me a good topwater bite.

mcveyr- Thanks for the heads up on the stripers. I won't be targeting them this weekend though.
                              Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Working...
                              X