PDA

View Full Version : This weekend

jsnyd86
04-26-2012, 10:36 AM
I have been out of town for the past week and am starting to think about fishing sometime this weekend. I came from Vegas, so I promise I didn't bring the cold/wet weather with me. We did need the rain though. That being said I imagine most places are muddy or badly stained. Where's everyone going? It's going to warm up a bit Saturday and even warmer Sunday. Where are the bass?

mcveyr
04-26-2012, 10:45 PM
I have been catching many 15-18 inch LM Bass on the Occoquan River along the boat dock, the bridge pilings, and in the flats (2-4 ft.) in the emerging grass beds. Most of my fish have been caught on chrome & blue rattle-traps; several have been on scum frogs also. Another great place has been Pohick Bay especially towards the opening to the Potomac River & Fort Belovior (the water goes from 6 feet and drops to 45 feet quickly)I caught 30 fish last Thursday there, all on a rattle-trap lure. Last I would recommend Leesylvania SP launch site, I caught “Boocoo” fish two weeks ago there.

PS the Stripers are starting to hit those spots too.

jsnyd86
04-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Nice catch! I wonder how the cold front effected the pattern and where they are sitting. It's SO close to bedding time but the temp just isn't there.

mcveyr
04-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Some of the fish that I caught show signs of being on the bed now, ie bloody tails and gashes on their bodies.

mcveyr
04-27-2012, 10:15 AM
I looks like the weather should be great for fishing tomorrow

Saturday, April 28 Hour-by-Hour Weather Forecast for Woodbridge, VA
7 am 41°F Mostly Cloudy N 4 mph
8 am 42°F Mostly Cloudy NNE 4 mph
9 am 45°F Mostly Cloudy NE 4 mph
10 am49°FMostly Cloudy ENE 4 mph
11 am52°F Mostly Cloudy ESE 4 mph
12 pm 54°F Mostly Cloudy SE 5 mph
1 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SE 6 mph
2 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SSE 7 mph
3 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SSE 8 mph
4 pm 55°F Showers SSE 8 mph

****Water Temperature: 61°

jsnyd86
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I looks like the weather should be great for fishing tomorrow

Saturday, April 28 Hour-by-Hour Weather Forecast for Woodbridge, VA
7 am 41°F Mostly Cloudy N 4 mph
8 am 42°F Mostly Cloudy NNE 4 mph
9 am 45°F Mostly Cloudy NE 4 mph
10 am49°FMostly Cloudy ENE 4 mph
11 am52°F Mostly Cloudy ESE 4 mph
12 pm 54°F Mostly Cloudy SE 5 mph
1 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SE 6 mph
2 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SSE 7 mph
3 pm 55°F Mostly Cloudy SSE 8 mph
4 pm 55°F Showers SSE 8 mph

****Water Temperature: 61°
Looks good to me. A little chilly, but it could be worse. I've never been to Pohick, but that drop off you speak off sounds appealing.

kanvery
04-27-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm going somewhere tomorrow but haven't decided where to yet! I'm torn between Pohick and Leesylvania right now. Maybe the tides will help me decide....

jsnyd86
04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Both are new places to me. Let me know what you decide and I may see you there. I've always noticed it's more productive to have more lines in the water.

mcveyr
04-27-2012, 11:03 AM
The attach picture has the "Soundings in Meters" data from NOAA GIS link: http://ocs-spatial.ncd.noaa.gov/encdirect/viewer.htm to show you data about water depth.

kanvery
04-27-2012, 11:32 AM
I'll have to give it some more thought but I'm leaning towards Pohick and see what I can do on topwater. Particularly if the winds are gonna stay down for a bit.

mcveyr
04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
If you do go there note the time for high tide for targeting fish in the back bay, there is both bass & snakeheads, it is not really good if you don’t have at least two feet of water to work with. Frogs in and around the pads are productive, and Zara-Spooks work in open water right now, trust me. In the 3-6 foot deep areas go with Rattle-Traps for the best action, again trust me on this.

ILV2F5H
04-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Last weekend we targeted snakehead in the Occ and at Leesylvania. No luck but we did see a whole bunch. Stripers are def in at Occ but Im not sure how thick yet. Last year it was fun jigging for them.

We may head down to the lower rapp to catch croakers. They are def in.

jsnyd86
04-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I'll have to give it some more thought but I'm leaning towards Pohick and see what I can do on topwater. Particularly if the winds are gonna stay down for a bit.

Its a little closer for me. I have a few frogs still in their box

mcveyr
04-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Stripers that I have caught so far have all been between 8 and 24 inches long IVO the Potomac River tributaries. Please note the regulations regarding catching any stripers on the Potomac River; any targeting of stripers require a barbless lure until 16 May (****above the 301 bridge). http://www.prfc.state.va.us/sports/BLUE%20SHEET.pdf

kanvery
04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm headed to Pohick in the morning if for no other reason than its really close. I'll leave the rest up to the fish gods to see if they'll give me a good topwater bite.

mcveyr- Thanks for the heads up on the stripers. I won't be targeting them this weekend though.

mcveyr
04-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Maybe we can meet then at Pohick Bay launch point Kanvery, I am looking at getting there around 8 AM (unless Friday night’s beer slows me down), to target some bass on the flats there before the rain comes to town again.

jsnyd86
04-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Maybe we can meet then at Pohick Bay launch point Kanvery, I am looking at getting there around 8 AM (unless Friday night’s beer slows me down), to target some bass on the flats there before the rain comes to town again.

that sounds good. hope GPS doesn't steer me the wrong way and I can find the place alright

mcveyr
04-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Here is the address toPohick Bay Regional Park:
6501 Pohick Bay Dr, Lorton, VA 22079.

kanvery
04-27-2012, 04:36 PM
It should be pretty easy to find. Where are you coming from in Alexandria? If taking 395 S take the Lorton exit off of 95 and take a left. Drive straight to Rt 1 take a right and head south on Rt 1. At the top of the hill take a left on Gunston Rd and follow it until you reach Pohick on the left. Your GPS should get you there no problem. Once you're in the park drive straight until you get to the bottom of the hill. You'll see the boat ramp but drive past that to the end on the parking lot to the small craft area. I'll try to be there around 6:45-7am. If the fishing is unbearably slow I'll pack it up and go a mile down the road to Mason Neck park. It's on the other side of the peninsula and looks promising.

mcveyr
04-27-2012, 04:44 PM
I
My suggestion, bring some frogs, spooks, rattle-traps for snakehead/bass, or stripers that just want to jump on your lure out there tomorrow.

jsnyd86
04-27-2012, 04:47 PM
awesome. I live right off RT1 a few miles South of 495. So it sounds like an easy drive. Not sure when I'll show up but it should be around 7-8, maybe earlier, maybe not. Cant be out all day though so I hope it's productive. see you guys out there!

jffoley
04-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Dang! My backyard and I can't make it... :(

mcveyr
04-28-2012, 08:14 PM
I must have all of you that made it to Pohick today; I got there around 8AM stayed around the launch for 30 minutes before heading over to the main channel next to Fort Belvior. I was never able to get anything on topwater, however the trustee rattle-trap produce around 15 bass for me today. I have attached a couple of pictures of some of the fish that I caught today for all to enjoy.

Shield
04-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Mcveyr, that rattle-trap has seen some use. Looks like the fish love it. I might have to add one of those to my tackle. Thanks for the pictures.

tufnik
04-28-2012, 09:16 PM
No snakeheads? Thanks for the report.

camelbird
04-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Nice work, I just started to fish Pohick last year, caught quite a few nice bass and a snakehead... hope they are still feeding aggressively after this front rolls through

kanvery
04-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Mcvey thats awesome! You must've arrive just after we launched. I would've waited but I didn't know you were coming out! We should've followed you. We found a lot of fish and saw one snakehead but no many were of any good size. I did get one on topwater but that's only because we were in a big school of em. I was surprised how long it took the tide to really come in. I would've fished more but we just decided to call it a day around 12:30. I did get a hit that broke me off while trolling. Are you headed out again anytime soon? I have all of next week off and might consider going out to learn a thing or two.

mcveyr
04-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi there Kanvery, I am up for some fishing next week, just let me know when (date/time) and where (location) you would like to meet up to go slay some bass on the Potomac then.

jsnyd86
04-29-2012, 07:11 PM
I'll start with thanking Kanvery for letting me tag along and showing me his sweet spots. It was nice to meet you both and I had a good time. I am up for going back out with you whenever I'm able to get out. I really like that area. Usually I am out longer but this time I had kicthen duties to come back to. - mcveyr - that is an awesome bag of bass you caught! For how cold the water was the fish were pretty active. Like Jack (Kanvery) said we saw a lot, just not any of size. I attached a photo for amusment though. The stick bait is a floating rapala that dives 1-3' and was crushing little guys. When I say little guys I mean bass, a little stripper, y. perch, w. perch, bluegill, crappie and sunfish. Most of the fun I had came out of my cast/catch ratio.

ictalurus
04-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the excellent report. I really have to get out there for some of those nice bass.