vhf radios.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vhf radios.

Since I am getting ready to be safety ready for under the bay bridge does anyone have recommendations for a good waterproof vhf radio. I am sure west marine has some but i would like to do some research first.
    Last edited by fjarhead; 07-28-2010, 04:48 PM.

....... is that waterpoop or waterproop .......... can't read my screen

Anyway ....... I'm wondering about that too ....... I know I want it to float but I was wondering what else is needed and what was the best ........

Comment

Vhf rakios

I have a standard horizon 851. This is a vhf with gps. The good thing about this is the distress signal feature, which with the press of a button sends a distress signal with location. It is waterproof and floats. It also has a severe weather feature, which signals the angler if severe weather is approaching. It is also 6 watts. The standard horizon 751 is similar without the gps.

There is also a nice icom, the m36, which is a waterproof/floating unit. It has a volume that automatically adjusts to background noise. It also has a feature that vibrates to remove water from the speaker. It is also a 6 watt unit.

If price is a factor, which it should be, there are many units that are somewhere in between. I work part-time at west marine.

Comment

I have the Standard Horizon HX750S. Before I bought I did a lot of research on these portable VHF. The two which were always on top were Standard Horizon and Icom. There was one site(can't remember now) which conducted their own tests on many brands. Standard Horizon was the only portable which did not have any water in the battery compartment after the test. The Icom only had about a drop of water. I believe they used the advertised IPX7 rating for the test. The IPX7 rating means it can be submerged to a depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes without sustaining any damage.

Comment

I have a standard horizon hx600s. So far it's been great. Is submersible which I highly recommend. This thing has been dunked, sprayed, splashed numerous times and still works fine. The great thing is that I only payed about $50 for it when boaters world went out of business.
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
          X