New to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum

I am new to maryland kayak fishing. I was giving a kayak fishing seminar last week and one of the anglers mentioned the forum. Some of the entries are very interesting. I fish mostly the annapolis area. I use a ocean kayak prowler big game, with a bassyak electric motor, humminbird 383c depthfinder, an other add on items.

welcome dogfish, how do you like that bassyak motor? i saw them in kayak angler mag. and was interested

Comment

Bassyak motor

The bassyak motor is a great rig. It works just like the web site says it does. The instructions that come with the setup is something to be desired. However, the company does answer its phones, and they are very helpful, should you have a problem. I troll alot with an electric motor. It is nice to steer the motor with the rudder pegs. So far the bass yak is quite an improvement over the side motor setup that i was using. I have one photo in my album, on this site.

Comment

Welcome aboard !!!!!! Would love to see that motor setup sometime .....

Comment

Welcome Dogfish! I am new to kayak fishing this season. Sounds like you've been in the game a while. Will look forward to meeting up sometime. We have a group get together planned for August 14th. Keep a lookout on the forum as we get closer.

I picked up an OK Drifter over the winter and so far so good. Although, I do like the bigger waters of the bay and have concerns about my range. Not so much going out but coming back! That has me thinking about a Hobie Revo for the future. I've seen the electric motor kayaks but have sorta dismissed the idea since it's more expense, more stuff to maintain, go wrong, etc. I'll be interested in hearing a first hand account about these rigs.

Welcome!
          John

Comment

Welcome Aboard! do you have any pics of your rig?
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Welcome Dogfish! you had the register your kayak bc of the motor, right? was it a pain to do that?
              sigpic

Comment

Electric motor kayak

Yes, the reason i went with an electric motor was for range while trolling. The electric motor allows me to have my hands free and makes it easier to troll two rods. I am now about to add a second battery for extended range. On most kayaks this might not be possible. However, the big game prowler has a 600 lb load capacity and should be ok.

I work on most weekends, but I will try to make some of the meet and greets. I mostly fish by myself. However, it would be fun to fish with others. I did post my first photo in the album, which is part of the web site. However, I am not how to get there, as I am new. I just purchased a waterproof/splashproof camera, so there will be more photos to come.

YES, I DID HAVE TO REGISTER THE KAYAK UPON ADDING THE ELECTRIC MOTOR. HOWEVER, IT WAS MOSTLY A PAINLESS PROCESS. JUST FILL OUT A COUPLE OF FORMS AND HAVE THE DEALER OF THE KAYAK FILL OUT A FORM. YOU DO HAVE TO DISPLAY NUMBER. I JUST PUT THEM ON A PLASTIC BOARD AND HUNG THEM ON MY CRATE WITH ZIP TIES.

I appreciate the welcomes that I have received, as from the posts the anglers seem to be serious about their kayak fishing. I fish mostly on the south river. Last fall I did mostly striper fishing. It was a great fall season. I have fished from around harpers ferry on the potomac for smallmouth bass, to the bay, eastern shore rivers and the inlet and back bay around ocean city. The next time i go to florida the kayak is going with me. I have this thing about catching a sailfish from a kayak.

Again, thanks for the welcomes and is good talking to all of you.
                Last edited by DOGFISH; 07-29-2010, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X