Ft Myers - April 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft Myers - April 20

I arrived in Ft Myers, FL yesterday. I fished with Stefan Kuenzel of Kayak Excursions. Stefan met me at Little Carlos Pass on Lovers Key (just south of Ft Myers Beach). Stefan uses a Malibu with a BassYaks electric motor. He brought me a French-made RTM brand very basic sit-on top kayak.

We paddled a mile north and fished the incoming tide on the flats around some mangrove islands. The first half hour of fishing was excellent, then it stopped. I did not catch a fish for the rest of the 4-hour trip. But during that first half hour, I had a fish on that spit out my jighead and clear 4" twister tail. While that was happening, the live shrimp I was drifting behind a popping cork got hit hard. It turned out to be a pretty speckled trout about 18" long.

A few minutes later we saw a school of predators chasing bait next to the mangroves. I cast my jighead in there and had a strong fight for the next 5 minutes. It turned out to be a powerful jack crevalle that gave my tackle all it could take.

After releasing that fish, I saw two more brown colored fish follow my lure to the boat but turn off at the last instant. I wish the fast action had lasted longer, but I did enjoy catching those two fish.

I have a second kayak charter scheduled for tomorrow morning. However, the weather forecast is calling for heavy rain and strong winds. I suspect the trip will be cancelled.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Very cool, John. Congrats on the nice fish. Is the jack a new species for you?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
      Very cool, John. Congrats on the nice fish. Is the jack a new species for you?
      I caught jack crevalles several years ago in this same part of Florida, but it was done from a fishing guide's power boat. Today was my first time catching them from a kayak. Today's jack may have been the most powerful fish I ever caught from a kayak, with the possible exception of 27" redfish caught in the Lynhaven area.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Jacks are such great fighters, i bet you had nice tussle.
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice diversion, John- Jacks are a blast- next time fish around the marinas, docks and bridges right next to the launches- I used to go every year to Ft. Myers for a conference right after Thanksgiving and we would catch 20 (+) pound jacks up in the area right next to the marina where the charter boats were docked- we would use cast nets and catch small peanut menhaden and throw a dozen or so as chum then hook one on a small circle hook and toss it in on light spinning tackle- it was a blast as they are a very strong fighter- and the thing no one figured was that that close in next to the pilings under the docks and bridges everything that swims was there- we caught snook, redfish, ladyfish, speckled trout, cuban snappers, gaftop catfish, etc.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Looks like one hell of time you are having, I love fishing FL too, I'll be going down to Steinhatchee, fishing the Steinhatchee River at the Gulf of Mexico.
            '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
            '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
            Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Nice fishing. It is always a blast to fish in Florida.

Comment

I'm on Lido Key (Sarasota) until Wed attending meetings. I visited a local kayak rental place on Sun and met a guy who offered to take me out fishing on Wed morning either in a kayak or in his small center console boat. It has been blowing 20-25 mph from Sat through today -- hopefully it will lay down by then.

Here is another photo of my jack crevalle that was taken by the guide.
                Attached Files
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  I'm on Lido Key (Sarasota) until Wed attending meetings. I visited a local kayak rental place on Sun and met a guy who offered to take me out fishing on Wed morning either in a kayak or in his small center console boat. It has been blowing 20-25 mph from Sat through today -- hopefully it will lay down by then.

Here is another photo of my jack crevalle that was taken by the guide.
                  A day fishing adds to youR lifespan, John- is is proven to add one and a half day to extend your life-
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-23-2012, 05:22 PM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                  X