Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Depth Finders

What do you use and why?

I see many Yaks w/DF's and handheld GPS's ...... Why? What are the advantages over an all in one?

Are all DF's waterproof in case you flip? If not which ones are?

Most DF's are "splashproof" and can only handle being submersed for short periods of time, even then it's risky.

People like the idea of separate GPS/DF for several reasons, I'll list some that make sense to me:
    • If you have a need to leave you kayak but still need the gps (think survival situation)
    • You can use your gps for other hobbies (hiking, skiing, geocatching, etc)
    • If you break one you don't loose both
    • You can buy cheaper versions of each

I have a Hummingbird 550 DF and a 12v 7amp battery in a dry box. I recently purchased the scupper transducer on close out (wanted to keep the other one so that I could eventually use it on a boat or different kayak). I am installing the scupper transducer tonight and re-doing my battery box in preparation for this weekend. I'll take some pictures so you can get an idea.

I have an OK Trident 13 2010 model. I plan on buying either an adventure or revolution sometime in the next two years.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Seems to me the most common are the Humminbird's. I'm not sure but I think several of their models may be designed specifically for kayak fishing. The PiranhaMAX 170 is inexpensive, tough, has a small footprint and supposedly waterproof. I've never flipped so haven't found out first hand! My kayak came with one so don't have much experience with others. The ones on our boats are way to big for a kayak.

Comment

I agree with everything Redfish said. I have a separate gps because I use it for other hobbies such as marking my treestand locations in archery season.

I have the Humminbird PiranhaMAX 170 that jffoley mentioned. It's been great and it is listed as waterproof. It's inexpensive, fairly high resolution, and has a dual beam.

Comment

Redfish got it covered pretty well. i have the lowrance X67c color ff and an eTrex gps, also have an eagle cuda 300. not endorsing either! need to do a reboot on them to see if they will reset or ill have to send them to lowrance for replacement

Comment

Humminbird

I have been using a humminbird 383 c for the last three years. It has been flawless. I have a big game prowler and a 15' trident. I use it on both. The thru hull transducer is a snap to install. Humminbird has come out with a 385 c model this year specifically for a kayak. It comes with a transducer that shoots through the hull. That should be a nice model.

Comment

I use a Eagle Cuda 300. No particular reason, it was just cheap.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I have a Lowrance x67c that I use for ice fishing, my kayak, and any other boats I might be on. I have portable gps units that I use for hunting but I haven't installed a mount on the yak yet. Portables are just more versatile. Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

These are some pictures of my battery box. The box came from walmart and was probably about $8 dollars. The battery came from cabelas and I think it was in the $20's over the winter.

I added a fuse to the positive terminal, used foam to brace the battery, and goop'd the hole for the wires. I also used a marine grade connector that I got on closeout from kayakfishingsupplies.com. I use a nylon webbing strap to keep it from sliding around in my kayak.

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                    I have a Lowrance x67c that I use for ice fishing, my kayak, and any other boats I might be on. I have portable gps units that I use for hunting but I haven't installed a mount on the yak yet. Portables are just more versatile. Good fishin

Chimo
                    i used ind. velcro in my cup holder to keep my etrex gps in place on the yak, works well and no holes

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                      i used ind. velcro in my cup holder to keep my etrex gps in place on the yak, works well and no holes
                      Thanks for the idea! I never seem to be able to seal things worth a darn so no holes is always a plus Good Fishin

Chimo

Comment

Working...
                      X