Leesylvania State Park 4/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leesylvania State Park 4/15

Got out this morning and decided to switch things up. Instead of heading under the railroad bridge to my usual haunts I decided to try the grass beds on an outgoing tide for some top water action. Boy was that a good decision! Third cast yielded a nice snakehead (camera was out of batteries of course) and fish were everywhere. After the action slowed down we headed to the usual haunts only to find that there was no grass yet and the tide was super low. Went back out to the grass flat and had a bunch more bites. The area was pretty interesting all the bait getting sucked out of the back coves was getting pushed to the surface. The water was murky but there was definitely a slaughter going on underneath us. Saw two other kayakers out there but didn't get a chance to talk to them. Anyone from this forum? May head back out this evening to catch the outgoing again for a couple hours.
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Forgot to mention, the highlight of the day was when my girlfriend spooked a snakehead and it launched out of the water on to her bow. Somethings you just wish you had a video going all the time...
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I want to catch one, but I need to figure out when to get down there. Sounds like now's the time to get one when it's hot.

Must have been precious to see your GF's face when the snakehead jumped out.

Thanks for the report.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by kanvery View Post
        Forgot to mention, the highlight of the day was when my girlfriend spooked a snakehead and it launched out of the water on to her bow. Somethings you just wish you had a video going all the time...
        Well thats a new way to catch them that I have not heard of yet...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Flying Potomac Pike!! Awesome, Jack! Gonna be time to hit Pohick more often soon...

Comment

Great report, Jack. I was going to ask how many fish your lady friend caught. Were you using the Rage Toad?
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Kanvery - I have friends that wade and fish top water out by the bridge and lily pads. They wade to about hip level. They consistently bring in bass and snakeheads via topwater lures.
              Hobie Outback
              WS Tarpon
              IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Originally posted by ILV2F5H View Post
                Kanvery - I have friends that wade and fish top water out by the bridge and lily pads. They wade to about hip level. They consistently bring in bass and snakeheads via topwater lures.
                I always see people fishing the bank underneath the bridge. I bet on a good tide a person could do really well there.

Bill- I was using rage toads, it seems more and more that and plastic worm or fluke are pretty much all I use for bass and snakeheads. While out there though I kind of wanted to slow it down because I was getting lots of misses (by a wide margin even for a bass or snakehead) so I was thinking about the ScumFrog BigFoot Frog. That way it puts out a big wake but I can stop it to float it for a few seconds too. Has anyone used any of these?
                Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I have and tried the green scumfrog on numerous trips last year. Not a single hit on it, but it doesn't mean it won't work. Maybe the SHs weren't around. Anyway, I may start trying the worm or fluke you mentioned.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                  X