Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRBT CBBT 13-14 Apr 2012

HRBT, Fri

Hit the water about 0930 on the north side of HRBT. Mostly sunny. Low 60's so it was cool in the morning with the wind. Wind was 10-15 mph, but the area was protected from the north wind.

Used shrimp and clams for togs at the pilings. Nothing. I jigged a one ounce white bucktail with a Gulp Alive sandworm (see pic) on the eastern side of Hampton Bar in hopes for some flounder. Nothing.

After the submarine passed by, the coast was clear so I crossed the channel to fish on the south side of HRBT. Jigged the bucktail for flounder as well as worked the pilings for togs. Chops and rips were bad (see pic) and I couldn't hold position well along the pilings. Gave up after about an hour. Nothing. Not even a nibble.

Decided to go back. Chops and swells were rough. Another submarine and a couple of big boats went by. Got a wet ride as I scurried back to the north side to fish along the island and piers for togs. Nothing.

I quit after five hours on the water. I had to decide whether to stay overnight for CBBT. Wx forecast was better than Friday, so I stayed.

CBBT, Sat

Water was flat and pretty calm. Breeze was less than 10 mph, so I was on the water at 0715 hrs. Day was mostly sunny. Over 70 deg. I headed for the 1st island three miles away.

At 0900 hrs, BAM! Got an awesome fight from a pretty big one. I finally had it next to the yak and ready to reach down to grab the leader, and the fish came off the hook. Dang! It was a big tog. I was so disappointed . It could well have been my only fish of the day. Dang!

Went back the piling and kept thinking about the lost tog, and 10 minutes later, BAM! Another big one with a good fight. But the sucker came off the hook halfway up in about 30 feet of water. Sheesh, I thought this was not my day.

Again, went back the piling, and at 0930 hrs, BAM! This bugger gave a good fight, AND it didn't get away. Measured 22 inches.

Ten minutes later, BAM! Wow, this guy gave a really good fight, the best one. It measured 22 1/2 inches.

I didn't catch any more togs after the last keeper tog, but I went on catch three toads. After eight hours on the water I hit the shore. I was thinking about joining HokieDJ and Comeonfish at Kipto, but I was too beat.

It was one of my best days (weather wise) at CBBT and made the time on the water fun.

Tally:
    Three toads - all C&R
    Two lost togs
    Two keeper togs

Notes
    - Water was pretty good today at CBBT. After 1000 hrs, chops worked up one to two feet. Rips started too and was off and on the rest of the day. Wind (5-15 mph) was off and on too. It was hard to maintain position around the pilings, but there were short moments when it slowed down. All in all, pretty good day.
    - I used a tandem tog rig at CBBT. Blue crab on the top and shrimp on the bottom. My two tog keepers hit the crab. I don't know what the other two lost togs hit. On the rig with crab and clams, one toad hit the crab and other hit the clam. Another toad hit the shrimp with the crab/shrimp combo.
    - See the pic with my biggest tog and the hook in the eye? Go figure. I think he hit one hook, and during the fight, the second hook pierced his eye. The first hook eventually came off his mouth. Can you believe this in-your-eye catch? Phew! Close call. If it weren't for the second hook, I probably would not have that fish.
    - For those who haven't seen a CBBT piling up close, see pic
    - BTW, while I was fishing, a white pickup (with a light-colored yak in the bed) above drove by CBBT and honked about 1-2pm. I waved back. Who was that?

Two of the three pics below are the south side HRBT.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 04-15-2012, 12:44 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

CBBT pics

Pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice going on the BIG tog! Thanks for the piling pic...I see why guys are looking for gunwale protection.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Nice work Tufnik... so close to 2 more citations

Comment

Awesome!

Man I guess Friday 13th got me. I really wanted to join you for CBBT but the dumb circus took longer than expected.

Joe and I didn't do too hot at Kipto. I caught a 14" tog and that was it. I think Pinch caught them all before he left.

Comment

Nice fish Tufnik.
            2012 Hobie Revo 13'
            2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Awesome togs, Efren. I like the look of the bucktail sandworm combo, too.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Tufnik,
                We were glad that you had a good day. I had nothing going between 12:00pm-4:15PM at the ships.
                It was very nice to see Pinch back on a kayak. I dove a few times and gave up because the water clarity was so poor. Visibility was 6’ max. I was glad to find Pinch dives too.

At 4:15 pm I had 11 good tog bites in 20 minutes. I missed all. When I checked the bait four times both shrimp and blue crab were gone. So they were equally attractive

I found that I couldn’t set the hook with one hand. I held the rusty metal piece on the ship with the left hand, and each time I got banged into the ships I had a bite. I was delayed by a half a second again and again. I had a tandem rig with a 6 oz sinker. I guess I need to build arm muscles for tog-fishing.

My next plan is hitting Delaware or Eastern Shore (MD or VA).

Joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Nice togs Tufnik. Too bad we werent as successful in OC this weekend.
                  Hobie Outback
                  WS Tarpon
                  IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Thanks, guys. Sure is nice to get lucky.

Matt,
                    I didn't even try to take them to Ocean East for a citation. Turned out the togs weighed 7.5 and 8.5 pounds. Need at least 9 for a citation.

Dave,
                    I know you really wanted to fish CBBT. I bet you were sitting there saying, "Ohhhhh... nooooo, the clowns are coming out again... when is this going to end?" ....lol

Bill,
                    First time I'm trying this combo. Hope to catch big ones with it this summer.

Joe,
                    Was that you in the white pickup that honked at me?
                    That's the same problem I had when fishing the wrecks. My shoulder was sore the next day from holding the wreck and the rod for hours.
                    Although VA tog season is closed now, I too plan to fish MD and DE for togs. MD creel limit drops to two in a few weeks though. I'm thinking we need to finding some wreck or reef away from shore. I don't mind going miles out to find the spots where big togs lurk.

Pics:
                    - Fillets (from the 22 1/2 incher): before and after. Mmmmmm....good!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Those are some huge tog! Good work Efren! I only seem to catch the little ones out there or tons of toads and BSBs.

I'm pretty sure that was Pinch that drove by you on the bridge. He just got a new truck and was heading back to MD.
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

The worst part was it was a lame show and so freaking loud that I had a headache through out the show. I will have to put a guilt trip on my wife so she can
                        let me join you guys in DE/MD one time

Joe doesn't have a white truck so it wasn't him.

Comment

That was me that drove by and honked. Nice fish.
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Working...
                          X