Fletchers, 4-11-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletchers, 4-11-12

Excellent day of hickory fishing from shore at Fletchers, 4-11-12, 11:00am-2:30pm. Action was about as fast as it can get. I caught 66 hickories. High tide @ 12:53pm. Most were mediums plus a dozen smalls and at least a dozen+ nice-sized females still with eggs. No Americans. From 11:00am to 1:30pm something happened on almost every cast… ranging from a sharp hit, or a fish on briefly, or a fish landed. All lures seemed to work, small twistertails, crappie tubes or spoons, didn’t matter although everything I used had at least some chartreuse to it.

I had my doubts as I was leaving the house because it was blustery chilly and overcast. I dressed warm but I should have dressed warmer, shoulda brought the raincoat too. Plus, upon my arrival the parking lot had only about a dozen cars and there were only a few boats out. All that put together and I though today would be a dud. I was pleasantly surprised with my best day at Fletchers this spring.

Action continued right through slack-high tide. I like fishing for hickories at slack high because I get to enjoy an honest fight from the fish that is not augmented by swift currents. Water vis was at least 6’ or more.

Surprisingly light fishing pressure. I had my pick of spots. As far as I could see all other shore guys were doing equally as well. I was too far away from the boat guys to see how well they were doing.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

sweet! nice job. when are you taking the yak out there??
    sigpic

Comment

stonemason - I have found out on several occasions that fishing Fletchers from shore is more productive than fishing the area from my canoe. When using a canoe, far too much fishing time is diverted to setting up and maneuvering the canoe to a good spot. On the other hand, if I hear that American shad have shown up again then I might consider launching the canoe. Americans are rarely accessible from shore like they can be from a boat out in the middle of Fletcher's cove.
      Howard

Comment

Thanks for the report HJS. Thats a nice mess of fish in that short time frame.
        Damn you 9-5!
        Hobie Outback
        WS Tarpon
        IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Originally posted by ILV2F5H View Post
          Damn you 9-5!
          Not to rub it in... but it's great being fully retired.
          Howard

Comment

Working...
          X