Palmetto Dunes; Hilton Head, SC Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palmetto Dunes; Hilton Head, SC Report

I just returned from Hilton Head, SC. The goal of the trip besides relaxing was to catch a redfish from the yak. I initially booked a trip through a kayak outfitting company, but canceled it after the owner at the bait and tackle shop told me that fishing on the river from a boat was hit or miss at best, yet alone from a yak.

He recommended I try Palmetto Dunes. It is a huge, 11 mile saltwater lagoon system that holds everything from tarpon to redfish and everything in between. The only problem was that unless you have access to it through a private residence, the only way to access it is with their kayaks. So, we rented two sit-inside old-town anglers ($120 for both for the day). They did not have a SOT with rod holders or a rear deck to put tackle on.

I bought 3 dozen mud minnows and brought all my jig heads, paddle tails, Gulp!, etc. I primarily used the minnows under a bobber with a small circle hook. After about 30 minutes my bobber went under and I thought for sure I accomplished my goal....nope. Landed a 19 inch flounder. Somewhat surprising and fun.

Besides a few other pull downs without a hook up, that was it in 6.5 hours of fishing. The wind really picked up and we had to be off the water about 3. The area guide (who was completely booked the day we had available) said it was slow for him also. They managed a few short reds by casting live menhaden. Not exactly sure how he had it rigged. That wouldn't have been worth the $350, 3 hour trip IMO.

All in all we had a great time, saw some awesome homes, got a nice sun burn, and didn't get skunked. Looks like the red will have to come closer to home. Here are some pics...
    Attached Files

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Too bad about the lack of reds, but at least the flounder made up for it a bit. I don't understand why those places in Florida that rent yaks don't cater more to fishermen.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking. They had no bait and their kayak selection was poor.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

nice flounder! thanks for the report. going to desten fla. on the 27th hopefully the fish will cooperate.

Comment

Man...

$60 dollars a day for a Vapor... Could pay for one in 4-5 trips out...

Nice flounder and great photos of the house/water.

Thanks for sharing.

Meadeo
          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
            Man...

$60 dollars a day for a Vapor... Could pay for one in 4-5 trips out...

Nice flounder and great photos of the house/water.

Thanks for sharing.

Meadeo
            Thanks. Your not kidding about the price, but I guess you dont get rich renting Hobies.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
            X