Getting your reel submerged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting your reel submerged

Does this happen to you? I fish in only freshwater mostly but I take it as a given my reel gets dunked more than it should. I fish alot of time wading in water up to my chest so it goes with me getting wet. Its sucks because I have some nice abu garcia reels and I don't want them getting wet. I do clean them and take care of them. When I'm in the kayak sometimes my line gets tangled up toward the tip of the rod and when I go to untangle it my reel end goes right in the water...no matter how hard I try for this not to happen it does.
    Surely this is part of the sport ...or does this just happen to me

I dunk my reels almost every outing. It's kinda hard not to when your trying to land a fish.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

It's inevitable. I rinse my equipment every time. Take them apart, clean and lubricate every so often and you should get many years of service out of them.

Comment

it happens, when it does just dry clean and lube. i minimize dunking by using 2 piece rods, take it apart to get at the tip. when landing fish i try to keep a rods length of line out and hold the rod high to lead it to either a lip grip or left had of steel

Comment

my reels spend a good amount of time underwater bc i'm too lazy to keep track of them when dealing with fish or changing lures, etc
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X