Bull Reds Around CBBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bull Reds Around CBBT

So Ive been doing research about catching big bull reds and it seems that the first full moon in april is when they start showing up on the back side of the barrier island (mainly Smith island and Fishermans) and the Magothy Bay area. The first full moon in april is this sunday!! Ill be at kipto for tog so I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on how to hunt big reds from a kayak. I know I'll have to launch from a different place than Kipto, but thats what im wondering.

ANY HELP will be greatly appreciated, Thanks guys
    -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
    -Heritage FeatherLite 12

I've been doin the same research lately I'd love to catch a red! But basically what ive found is guys fish whole live crabs (blue, green ) and either rubber band em to a hook or put the hook through that point on the side of the crab as to not hinder its livelyness and put em on a ff rig and put the clicked on and wait, all of this was around fishermans and smith islands like you were saying and I've heard of deports of them as far north as assategue bay but evidently shop shoal inlet and sand shoal inets both produce tons of old drum too. If I get down that way sat/sun is be interested in trying to find a good launch spot and take a gander around those areas
    Malibu stealth 14 with a paddle....still lol

Comment

If you check out Kayak Kevin's and Rob Choi's websites (www.kayakkevin.com and www.angling-addict.com) and look through their reports from previous years, you can find about about the gear they used and the areas they fished. I think they paddled until they spotted some schools, then casted Storm and Tsunami at the fish and held on tight.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

This should help:

http://snaggedline.com/showthread.php?t=2642
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I've looked into this extensively. I'm going to catch a big red this year from the yak. Thats my only 2012 goal. I'm almost positive kayak Kevin launches from the landing by the high rise. As said above, in the later part of April through the end of May bull red ( along with big post spawned stripers) school up close to shore in the bay. Stalking them takes miles of paddling and virtually no wind. You may paddle all day and not see a fish. Exactly where on the shore they conjugate seems to be a pretty guarded secrete. I plan on spending the 3 rd and 4th weekends of April roaming the shores south of Kipto (weather and wind permitting) looking for a bull red if anyone wants to join. Spro jiggeads, storm lures, and berkley shrimp casted in front and drug in front of them seem to work. I'll prob stay at Kipto.

The other opportunity, especially for the Salisbury members, is smith island beginning in May. They are fished for the same way KK fishes the shoals, but the surf is not as large ( I think). Terripan beach is a good location. There is a public ferry that will take you from crisfield to SI. Its quite a long paddle but there may be other close beaches to fish. If anyone wants to take this adventure with me I'll be attempting this also.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Count me in for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by kayakjoe View Post
              Count me in for sure.
              x2 although Ill be on assateague the weekend of the 21st.
              -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Joe you might wanna get a life jacket LMAO!!
                -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Originally posted by MDFishin View Post
                  Joe you might wanna get a life jacket LMAO!!
                  Hahaha, maybe some waterproof vans too .

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Haha I've got one I just never had it both days! And what you don't knkw is under my vans I have waterproof booties on! They just stink when you get the mud on em so I ear shoes

Comment

I've been wanting to go to Fisherman's island for big drum, but not without company. Now that I see a couple of you forming a posse, I may tag along. I think the next couple weekends are booked, but will have to check it.

Comment

All this drum talk is getting me excited! It looks like we have a good group that wants to go, it should be a lot of fun. We will have to plan a couple trips. I know fishing out the surf for them looks pretty hairy. They use two anchors and constantly have to paddle into the rough water to be where the fish are, but sight casting for the along the beaches on calm days doesn't seem to bad, just a lot of paddling. Let me know what you guys wanna do, as long as we go together we should be able to do whatever.

Comment

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...ed-Drum-Report

I imagine several of you habe seen this already

Comment

Originally posted by kayakjoe View Post
                            http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...ed-Drum-Report

I imagine several of you habe seen this already
                            Dang! I need to catch one.

So, how about 27 or 28 Apr? I know MD can't make it the weekend of 21th.

Comment

I am thinking about a trip to fish the inlet between Fisherman's Island and Smith Island for flounder in a week or so Tuf- when you go down to Kipto what roads do you drive?
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X