HRBT Fri, 3-30-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRBT Fri, 3-30-12

Went to CBBT, but the water looked too rough. So I went to plan B. I heard togs were caught at HRBT so I wanted to give it try. Hit the water at 10 am.

Water sucked.
    Chops went up to three feet. Swells weren't good either. Current was not favorable, especially around the pilings. I had a tough time maintaining position. The eddies kept knocking me out of position. Bobbing up and down from the swells was tricky around the pilings too.

Wind sucked.
    Higher than forecasted. Was about 15 mph with higher gusts. It was cool with the wind chill, so I wore my waders. Wind was steady and kept blowing me here and there. Battled a head wind on the return trip.

Fish sucked.
    I offered the togs blue crab and shrimp on a tandem rig. I dangled the thing around the pilings as well as around the rocks surrounding Fort Wool island. Nada. Nothing. Not even a nibble. One boater said he caught nothing too. I also tried over the tunnel on the north side of Fort Wool. Water depth was 50 feet.

Company sucked.
    I saw only one boat trailer in the parking lot. There were no other yakers out there. Saw two boaters near the island. They came and left. There were a lot of birds on the white-stained island rocks making a lot of racket. It was cool watching an aircraft carrier pass by though.

Fish sucked again.
    I then threw a chartreuse BDK on an ounce and half jighead. Again, nothing.

Forecast sucked again.
    Was going to stay over for Saturday, but forecast was not any better. So I cancelled my room reservation.

Yeah, yeah. I know. It was a good day out. Got good exercise. Mostly sunny. Low 60s. Water in 50s. Glad to be out...etc....etc...... Still, the fishing sucked.

Pic:
    Fort Wool from the calm side of the island.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Sorry to hear the weather, water, and fishing sucked. What do you think about the HRBT for togs in general? Think it could be productive?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Bill- the rock island at Ft. Wool has been a place where a few togs were caught- but by and large, big togs are caught at the CBBT wrecks and at the rock piles- and offshore at the triangle wrecks
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've not heard a lot of tog reports out of HRBT last year. I asked several people, and they said they heard none. I did try once, but was skunked at HRBT last year.

A few weeks ago one fellow reported catching many togs on the north and south side bridges. His largest was 19". Another fellow reported catching a bunch somewhere around the island. He caught one 22", two 20" and several smaller keepers.

I have yet to catch a tog there. So, I personally can't really say it's a good place. I still do have a trace hope that I may catch one there some day, even though I think chances are much better at CBBT.

There are several wrecks/reefs a few miles from shore in the Newport News, Pouquon (sp?), Norfolk, and VB areas. I hope to put the lat/longs in my GPS and plan a trip out there soon or after Sept 22.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
        X