Anyone thinking shad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone thinking shad?

I've been looking forward to trying to catch some shad in the Occoquan. It may be a toss up between that and Mattawoman bass. There's a small group going out there Saturday. Any takers for Occoquan shad?
    -Jon
    Revo 13

I plan to fish occuquan on Saturday.

Meadeo
    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

I had the same plan. Need to double check the tide chart but I wanted to get out there during high tide. Is that similar to your plan?
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

Gonna be helping a friend first thing in the morning with a project. Then he and i will be heading that direction. Might be a couple of others as well not i have not gotten any confirmation from them yet.

Meadeo

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
          Gonna be helping a friend first thing in the morning with a project. Then he and i will be heading that direction. Might be a couple of others as well not i have not gotten any confirmation from them yet.

Meadeo
          sounds good. Ill be in the water by noon, maybe before and heading upstream. see you there!
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Dress for rain and cold. I hope to be out there with Meade.
            Hobie Outback
            WS Tarpon
            IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

I hit Occoquan yesterday during a lunch break (1:30-4:00pm). I went for Snakehead because a kid caught a 32" snakehead on the Last Sunday when Chris left his spot. Yesterday I caught 2 LM only, no snakehead. Also I could see that none caught shad that time.

Last Sunday I caught about 10 shad.

Joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

This time of the year, I'm always thinking about shad. Unfortunately, I won't be able to fish for them this weekend. Hopefully, I will next weekend or during the week.

I've always had my best luck for shad during low light conditions--in the evening (after 5 or 6pm), on cloudy days, or when the water is slightly stained. I think TJ caught them there in the middle of the day last year, though.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqbewt/id8.html

Comment

In case of Storm,
                    I faced few serious lightening/rain storms in the past in the upper Occoquan. Storms came so fast to react properly. I remember that my wife was very mad because the severe storms were forecasted. I beached the kayak under the South side of the 123 bridge. It is a rocky place but it wasn’t that bad to beach a kayak. And I waited with other shore fishermen. The 123 bridge is wide and under the bridge was bone dry. I thought lightening would hit something else, such as tall trees, than us. I thought that place was safer than my being alone on the water with graphite rods sticking up

Joe
                    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      I thought lightening would hit something else, such as tall trees, than us. I thought that place was safer than my being alone on the water with graphite rods sticking up
                      Joe
                      good point. I too have a back up plan in mind incase of potential emergencies. Though I've never put mine to use these are good things to think about
                      -Jon
                      Revo 13

Comment

well I don't know about you guys but I got SKUNKED! I didn't want to start a new thread for a loss. It was my first time being up above the foot bridge though and I really enjoyed it. Seems a bit more like a river up there. Nice to meet some guys from the forum too. Hope yall did better then I did. I eventually worked my way down to the launch but did so half heartedly. I lost motivation on the way back. Trolled a bit and then called it a day.
                        -Jon
                        Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                          well I don't know about you guys but I got SKUNKED! I didn't want to start a new thread for a loss. It was my first time being up above the foot bridge though and I really enjoyed it. Seems a bit more like a river up there. Nice to meet some guys from the forum too. Hope yall did better then I did. I eventually worked my way down to the launch but did so half heartedly. I lost motivation on the way back. Trolled a bit and then called it a day.
                          Nice meeting you.

It was avery off weekend fishing wise.. I could not figure the shad out.. I managed two shad on Saturday after 6 hours of trying very hard.

Sunday i went down to the Rapp below frederickburg to see if things would be better there but to my displeasure it was more of the same.. Managed 1 shad in 4 hours ofthrowing darts and spoons. I finally got bored with it and started throwing beatle spins and managed about 25 bluegills/redbreasts/yellow perch/large mouth mix fishing the downed brush. Nothing over ten inches but still some excitement on the ultralight.

Things should pickup with a few warm days..

The big mystery to me is the lack of white perch this year... I have yet to catch any at all and typically i have a hard time not finding them. I hope they show sometime soon.

Meadeo

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
                            Nice meeting you.
                            Things should pickup with a few warm days..
                            The big mystery to me is the lack of white perch this year... I have yet to catch any at all and typically i have a hard time not finding them. I hope they show sometime soon.

Meadeo
                            Interesting. I agree that there needs to be a few warm days. This past week was off. Its back to cold in the mornings so whatever warmth the day brings, the cold night sucks it away. I might give it a little more time and go for cats this coming weekend. Ill be bringing a friend along, tandem style, so it should be less work if we can anchor somewhere and drop a few lines. haven't decided where to go for cats. I'm hesitant to shy away from the shad and bass fishing because it's going to blow up very soon. I want to be there for it. I may go back again for a long day and start at the top for shad, work my way down for bass and anchor up at the bend just before 95 bridge for cats.
                            -Jon
                            Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                            X