• Show
Clear All

• Plastic welding

Anyone have any holes or cracks in their kayaks let me know I weld plastic

awesome to know! but hopefully i'll never have to use you..lol
    sigpic

Comment

plastic welding

How does the process work? And I think this service should be a sticky in case anyone with a problem can get help-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

There is a video on YouTube about welding kayak plactic and making repairs.

Comment

will let you know, might need a skid plate welded on the stern keel this winter

Comment

Repairs

I just sent a fax to MAD RIVER CANOES requesting to purchase a few pieces of scrape red matching material strips for repair of cracks in my "linear high-density polyethylene" hull Canoe. I also requested instructions on how to make these repairs should they occur.

Although I do not have any cracks or defects in my canoe at present, I want to know in advance how to makes these repairs and have the patch material on hand should the need arise. I am still awaiting a response from Mad River Canoe Company.

I also contacted Austin Kayak & Canoe and asked them about repairs. They were very fast in their response and very helpful. They carry heat welding guns of varying wattage and different repair kits for different hull materials. AKC also said they can get the patch material for my canoe from the manufacturer should I need it in the future.

Is your Kayak made of Polyethelene ? Did you have to get patch material from the manufacturer or were you able to make the repair with a compatable plastic weld rod? Did you use a heat welding gun to make your repairs, and how difficult was it to make the repairs ? Do you know if “linear high density polyethylene” is the same as “super linear polyethylene.”

This is a great "Thread Subject." Although I am new to canoeing and kayaking, its good to know how to make repairs should the need arise.

Joe P.

Comment

Joe- most of the Yaks used by forum members are roto-molded, high density linear poly. The high end carbon fiber yaks and kevlar stuff is way too expensive for the average fishing yaks-

Comment

More Questions From Newbee

Ron;

I was told that my canoe is made from "linear high-density polyethylene." I probably should have done more research on hull material and asked more questions before I bought it. But I did read a lot of information about canoe hull material, Royalex, Kevlar, Polyethylene, Aluminum and wood.

I simply could not afford anything new except the Polyethylene. But I tried to buy one of the better brands on the market. I bought my canoe through REI. It was on sale for a short period in May. Like $100 off MRP. I did read 40-50 owner reviews on this canoe on other canoe/kayak forums and they were 99% very pro. The 1% con had to do with the 75 pound weight.

Please pardon my stupidity, but is Linear High-Density Polyethylene the same as “roto-molded, high density linear poly” ? Can you also tell me what me what “roto-molded” is ?

I told you guys I was new to paddle boats. I will probably ask a lot of dumb questions, so please bear with me.

Joe P
                Last edited by bhdpal; 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Yep same materials- Rotomolding is the system used to spin or rotate the mold while the tiny poly beads are fed into the mold under heat to insure complete coverage without any bubbles in the mold-much like centrifugal castings used in the automotive and aircraft industries- there are several You Tube videos on Rotomolding

Comment

Last summer I found a small hole in the underside of the rear of my Ocean Kayak Drifter. I first tried placing a bolt into the hole, but that did not last. The hole grew to about 1/2" in diameter and would let several gallons of water in during an hour of paddling. I saw the You Tube video about plastic welding, but felt that was beyond my level of craftsmanship. I took a tube of Marine Goop and a 6" long piece of galvanized stee that I found in the basement. With the hull upside down, I first sealed the hole with Goop, next put down a bedding layer of Goop, then placed the steel bar over the place where the hole had been. I continued adding more layers of Goop until I completely sealed the steel piece into place. I can now drag the boat across concrete or asphalt without damaging any more polyethylene. The metal takes all the friction. It is not cosmetically pleasing but has not affected the way the boat performs.

I had thought about installing a small wheel back there so I could easily drag/roll the boat around. Since then, I have seen several kayak manufacturers offering the same type of stern wheel on some of their new models.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Poly Repair

Thanks guys you have educated me on hull material and repairs. I hope I don't encounter such problems but I feel more at ease knowing what the material is and the fact that it can be repaired.

I made strap on bow and stern guards out of an old motorcycle tire. I use them when loading, unloading, transporting & portaging my canoe. They protect the bow and stern ends and undersides from contact with hard land surfaces. I am going to post a thread on how I made these guards and the materials used. I don't have the capabilities to post pictures of the guards. I can take cell phone pictures and send them via cell phone to anyone who wants them.

I also made a strap on drag guard out of an old motorcycle tire that fits on the bottom of my canoe and keeps it from contacting the ground when I turn it over or drag it a short distance. I will write up the "build" and post it on a thread, but again w/o pictures. It works but I need to rig it more towards the stern so when I lift the bow off the ground to drag it the only thing that contacts the ground is the homemade tire drag.

Joe P.

Joe P.

Comment

Working...
                      X