DNR required safety items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNR required safety items

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if any members know what are the required safety items to have on a kayak that's being enforced by DNR? I went to DNR's website, but I only can find a boating reg section, not for kayaks, though.

I have a PFD and a whistle. Anything else I need to adhere to DNR safety requirements? I know I'll need a light of some sort if out after sunset.

Thanks.

Tim

It's federally regulated not by the DNR. For vessels under 16 ft. all you need is the PFD.

Comment

Originally posted by MDSmith370 View Post
      It's federally regulated not by the DNR. For vessels under 16 ft. all you need is the PFD.

Thanks, MDSmith! I just want to make sure I'm in the clear if I get checked by DNR.

Comment

I've always wondered what we would be required to have...

I have a whistle, pdf, and a light. I plan on adding a VHF radio at some point. I am not sure if we are required to have a whistle but we were required to have them at other kayak events and I think the rule applies if the body of water is wider than a mile or two?

Can't be certain about that though.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

dnr,

pfd, whistle, light only if going to be out after dark. you should keep some extra line, (50 ft) just in case you need a tow or tow someone. if your going out on large bodies of water i would get a vhf radio. you can pick up a nice one at west marine for about 150.00

Comment

I found this to be helpful:

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/com...ad.php?t=72310

Comment

Here are the federal requirements. Whistles aren't required for vessels under 12 meters.
              http://nyss.com/federal#3

Comment

I know its not required, but I figure if I need help, I need help. I wear an auto inflate pfd, sooner or later I'll set it off by accident, but if a boat runs me over, I should float. I sit on/against a throwable pfd. If I flip the boat, it comes out too. Clipped to the pfd is a flare bag with three flares, whistle, mirror and dye pack. Also clipped is a c light, vhf radio and plb. The plb is overkill unless you are fishing IRI or OI in the obx, or offshore in the ocean. I want to float if I get seperated from my kayak and cant get back to it due to wind, current, injuries. Then I want to be seen. Last I want to be able to call for help. My cell phone is in a ziplock in my shirt pocket. Once seated, you dont notice any of this. But I dont plan on dying for my hobby. If I had a heart attack, but can set off the plb, SAR will know where I am inside of 2 minutes, they also know who the beacon is registered to. Dont forget we have had collisions between 30 foot boats out there, let alone kayaks. Then there are the drunks, idiot jet skiers (I own a jet ski, so its just certain drivers) as well as people coming around a piece of structure quickly.

Comment

I was out this season and a fellow kayaker was complaining that the DNR had just given him at 90 dollar fine for not having a pdf. He was just going out for a quick spin and had left it in his truck. He mentioned something about being more than 200 yards from shore so I'm not sure if you can get away without one if you are playing around near the shore. After that, mine is with me at all times, even if i'm only in a few feet of water. I'd rather buy another rod than pay the fine.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

As an adult you don't need to wear one but it has to be onboard.

Comment

dhmjd, that's a great idea for the seat cushion. Certainly good to have all that stuff if you wind up out of the yak. What c-light do you have/recommend?

Comment

I have the following items on my vest at all times.

1. Knife w/small flashlight
                        2. Signal mirror
                        3. Whistle
                        4. First Aid Kit
                        5. Pliers
                        6. Couple Glow Sticks

I want to add a VHF and Dye pack this year as well

I need to still make a emergency bag for the front hatch with the following items.

1. Extra water
                        2. Change of dry cloths
                        3. Spare Paddle (This is a priority and should be in any Kayak)
                        4. Fire starting kit
                        5. Protein bars or Jerky
                        6. Emergency Blanket
                        7. Signal Flares
                        8. Extra Flashlight and batteries
                        9. 100' of rope
                        10. Knife

All these items should fit in a med size dry bag and would help if i got stranded overnight for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                          I have the following items on my vest at all times.

1. Knife w/small flashlight
                          2. Signal mirror
                          3. Whistle
                          4. First Aid Kit
                          5. Pliers
                          6. Couple Glow Sticks

I want to add a VHF and Dye pack this year as well

I need to still make a emergency bag for the front hatch with the following items.

1. Extra water
                          2. Change of dry cloths
                          3. Spare Paddle (This is a priority and should be in any Kayak)
                          4. Fire starting kit
                          5. Protein bars or Jerky
                          6. Emergency Blanket
                          7. Signal Flares
                          8. Extra Flashlight and batteries
                          9. 100' of rope
                          10. Knife

All these items should fit in a med size dry bag and would help if i got stranded overnight for some reason

That's a very comprehensive list. Is your fire starting kit waterproof matches or a flint? Two things that I bring along, that weren't on your list, is a lightweight poncho for rain protection and a roll of duct tape for quick repairs.

Comment

Great list

I really don't plan on needing any of that stuff. Unless I'm going out by myself in a remote area in the winter. I have the radio, life jacket, first aid kit. So it's my understanding as long as I have the life jacket I don't nee to wear it...although I feel safer wearing it for sure...even when its' 100 degrees, maybe I should put some cooler kool packs in it....that would keep me cool.
                            should I get a flair gun? what else. I do have a signal mirror and whistle because I backpack alot...

Comment

best things to have: pfd, adudiable device(whistle or air horn), small mirror, paddle leash, emergency light. this is a minimum some carry more.

Comment

Working...
                              X