A few shad on a windy day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few shad on a windy day

Here is a non-kayak fishing report. For those of you who want to try for shad from your kayaks, if you can find a low wind and slow current day, the shad are now in the region between the boat ramp at Lapidum and Deer Creek. They are probably elsewhere too -- I can't vouch for the other areas.

My friend Greg and I decided to check out shad fishing from the shoreline on the lower Susquehanna today. As we drove north on Rt 95, the wind got stronger and stronger. We stepped out of the car at the boat ramp at Lapidum to try a few casts -- it was really brutal. In that fully exposed spot, it was not possible to make a cast far enough to do any good. Occasional gusts on top of the steady high winds nearly pushed me off balance on the dock at one point. We concluded that we needed a location with at least some shelter.

We continued up the shore road and stopped at a few locations where we could find access. My first cast resulted in a strong headshake, followed by two leaps out of the water. The shad was a large one. I realized that my camera and the Hawg Trough were still in the car, so I released the fish without a photo. That proved to be our largest fish of the day at the 18" to 20" range. I caught 4 more fish at that location and Greg caught 1. During the 45 mins we were at the first spot, the water level dropped almost a foot, and the bite stopped.

We continued further upstream to another spot where Greg caught 4 more shad. The water level continued to drop and we eventually called it a day. We felt fortunate that we were able to catch any fish in that much wind. We wish we had gotten there earlier in the day to take advantage of the higher water that brought the fish into casting range.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice work john!! What kind of lure were you using?

Comment

Nice Shad. Deer Creek is excellent for Shad. I haven't tried for Shad yet as I've been on my Bass hunt but they are a great fighting fish on ultralights.

You can catch large numbers there in a very short period of time.

2 Small shad darts tied on a snipped dropper loop or 1 shad dart with a small shad spoon works great.

Comment

Originally posted by MTDluvsFishin View Post

2 Small shad darts tied on a snipped dropper loop or 1 shad dart with a small shad spoon works great.
        MTDluvsFishin answered Matt's question. All the fish today were caught on double shad dart rigs. My second pole had a small gold spoon on top and a shad dart on the bottom. The wind was so strong, that rig did not have enough weight to cast it out. My fishing buddy started out with small darts but had to increase the weight to get casting distance.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice shad. They are fun.

I recognize your buddy Greg. I know him by a mutual friend. I understand he is quite the striper fisherman also.

Glad you caught a few.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
            Nice shad. They are fun.

I recognize your buddy Greg. I know him by a mutual friend. I understand he is quite the striper fisherman also.

Glad you caught a few.
            Greg is very outgoing and knows lots of people. He is a very good fisherman, based in Ches Beach. He is not currently a kayak angler.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Comment

John - I was at Fletchers at the same time (see post). Windy as heck there too, nearly got blown off my rock a time or two. I'm thinking there is some sort of wind venturi effect that goes on in steep sided river valleys like at Fletchers and the Susky that increases the speed of the wind.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
              X