Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monthly Meet & Greet - Aug 14

All:

Since I had the bright idea Matt used his college powers and coolly suggested that I be the one to organize a monthly meet and greet. That's logical. There's hope for the leaders of the free world yet!

I've entered a recurring event on the calendar for the second Saturday of each month through December. Not sure we'll be able to go out that late in the year but it's there. I was also able to add an email reminder for 3 days prior.

Since I'm new to the kayak game and unfamiliar with a lot of launch locations I'm nominating Sandy Point State Park for August 14th. Let's say at 8AM? High tide is at 9:01AM with low at 2:47PM. By the time we launch the tide should be running.

Seems a safe pick that many are familiar with. Other suggestions? Hope to see you on the water!

Tight lines!
    John

that is cool with me, after SPSP maybe do somewere different to try a new place; Rumandcoke, ches beach, breezy point some places that should not be done alone. i know some good places on the eastside also not too far for the Va. guys

Comment

Definitely up for any of those suggestions. The bay is an awesome resource and HUGE. I've only been in the area 10 years and have barely scratched the surface. Probably can't explore all those new places before I die. But I will die trying!

Let's see what sort of response we get. If a consensus develops for another location let's change it up!

Comment

live to fish and die fishing. having a massive heart attack while pulling on a yellow fin tuna is my 2nd best way to kick off

Comment

Hahaha that would not be bad way to go for me either!

While we're on the subject of planning I'd like to suggest a few other venues we should check out.

1) Kiptopeke in December (If you don't know why check out Kayak Kevin's page)
          2) The hot ditch in Jan or Feb
          3) Susquehanna Flats in April
          4) Jamaica Bay Tournament in May

I think J-Bay and Kiptopeke require some advance planning because you'll probably want to spend the weekend there, but the others could probably be a day trip for most people.

Those 4 places are on my list this year and I think it'd be great to get a group together and try them out. Jamaica Bay was awesome last year and I know I'll definitely be doing that again.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

All of those places are on my list, too!

I almost DID have a heart attack fighting a BIG yellowfin some years ago. I'll try and make it short... NJ. Early fall. Weather was iffy. My brother and I decide to go fluke fishing instead of making an offshore run. While gassing the boat up the dock guy tells us there's a hot yellowfin bite a couple miles offshore. But no tuna gear with us. We're going fluke fishing! But we do have a couple 50lb class shark rods. (back then we used long, slow action rods for shark. A lot of bend) We decide: Let's do it! Offshore we go. I hook almost immediately. No harness. Just a belt. Well, this tuna kicked my ass for I don't know how long. For a long time he just circled. We could see him. Get a couple yards. Then he'd take twice that. I finally get him to the surface. No flying gaff either, BTW. Fluke fishing, remember? We got a net, though! My brother hits him with a long handled hand gaff and I sink down into a console seat. Exhausted. My arms shaking, legs are wobbly. Completely spent. Next, my brother cannot get the fish in the boat. At the time we were running a 25' Aquasport CC. It had very high gunwales. He's yelling for me to help and I could barely move! I muster my remaining strength and we struggle to get the fishes head above the gunwale, almost in the boat and then... the gaff breaks, fish drops back in the water, 50lb line snapped and we both watch him sink slowly away to become shark food. Bummer, big time.

Sorry, not so short. But a great memory. Never sweated so much in my life!

Comment

ouch i can feel it! on my first tuna expedition we were in chincoteague by the nets and only had some crappy belts that was slipping around my thighs trying to land a 93lbs bluefin that belt left gashes in my legs but a citation from Va was nice. didn't get to clean our fish until evening and when the blood came out so did the mosquitoes omg they were crazy worst butcher job on the tuna ever! best thing ive used to fight tuna is a hooki it fits on the butt of the rod and rests on your hip, very comfortable and you can really put the heat to the fish!

Comment

I'm in, hopefully the weather will cooperate this time.

Comment

I am definitely in...need to get the new Ultimate 16 in the bay!

Comment

some newbies were asking about some re-entry practice. i can help with this aftera morning of fishing say around 930-10, maybe some younger more agile guys could help too

Comment

I'm interested and plan on trying to make it.

Comment

meet and greet

Thanks for the help, I'm in for the August meet and greet at 8am at the SPSP. can anyone tell me where the kayak launch is...
                        thanks
                        Tom Brown
                        Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                        2012 Hobie PA 14'
                        Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                        2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                          All:

Since I had the bright idea Matt used his college powers and coolly suggested that I be the one to organize a monthly meet and greet. That's logical. There's hope for the leaders of the free world yet!

I've entered a recurring event on the calendar for the second Saturday of each month through December. Not sure we'll be able to go out that late in the year but it's there. I was also able to add an email reminder for 3 days prior.

Since I'm new to the kayak game and unfamiliar with a lot of launch locations I'm nominating Sandy Point State Park for August 14th. Let's say at 8AM? High tide is at 9:01AM with low at 2:47PM. By the time we launch the tide should be running.

Seems a safe pick that many are familiar with. Other suggestions? Hope to see you on the water!

Tight lines!
                          John
                          John

If you want the BB area then I recommend Hemmingways ........ easier to launch, has a beach to launch from, better fishing on the Eastern shore side and it has a great restaurant and bar .........

Another place would be Rocky Point if you don't mind upper bay ........ lots of stuff to explore there ........ has a Kayak place right there (don't know the name) and the fishing can be good ........

Comment

All,

Details haven't been worked out yet. SPSP was proposed initially as a lot of guys are familiar with it. The week before the date I was going to bump this post, ask the question again and see what consensus develops.

I have one email suggestion to switch to Hemingway's (now 2 with Memory-Makers post) as it might be less crowded than SPSP with a better chance to hang out after-wards, grab a bite and a few beers than a potentially crowded SPSP. I'd say better fishing trumps all!

That's ok by me. Since there are a couple bumps already and, with about 2 weeks to go, let's get started with the voting! That's 2 for Hemingways and the original suggestion of SPSP. Anyone else?

Comment

Thanks again for organizing this John! I'm voting for Hemmingway's, but I'm already included in your tally I believe...
                              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X