Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Kayaking?

Hey guys,
    Has anyone taken their kayak out after dark? Is it even legal? If so, are lights required?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

I fish the narrows at night, make sure you are lit up well.

Comment

night fishing in a kayak is so much fun. a head light and reflectives are helpful.

Comment

Never been night fishing but I bet it would be fun as hell. That's something I want to try this summer. Maybe once the blues start rolling in.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I just got a bunch of SOLAS tape to put on my Trident in preparation for the night bite. I'm looking forward to fishing the narrows at night this fall!

I think my orange kayak covered in reflective tape will make a nice target for the shore chuckers... should be interesting...
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

let me know when you guys go. try a red lens in your head light it helps alot. i put a tap light inside my revo kinda looks like a jack-o-lantern but visible, of course i have a stern light also

Comment

Surfdog, do you mean inside the hull? That's a great idea. With a strong enough light maybe the whole kayak will glow! Of course, still need the stern light and reflective tape.

Still new at this kayak thing and have yet to do it at night. Looking forward to it later in the season. Back in the day I did lots of surf fishing. Almost always at night and before dawn. Other than early or late season cloudy days it's the best time to fish if you want big ones consistently near shore...

Comment

yeh inside in my center hatch lights it up pretty good in the dark

Comment

tap light inside the hatch? Brilliant!
                  Jason

Comment

Do you guys ever throw a green light in the water to attract bait? I have a 12v one that I got to use at Smith Mountain Lake to try and cast net alewives, but I was thinking I could wire it into my fish finder battery too...

Comment

do you have a voltage reading on your ff? it would be interesting to see what type of drain the light is.

cant take credit, im just a dumb ass moron who leaves his seat home on a 4 day vac. to the beach. but it works

Comment

Yeah my FF has a voltage reading... I've seen guys using the light up baits at the narrows before and it seems like they are a great way to catch rays. I don't think I want to do that.

I figure I'll try to anchor just north of the DNR area and drop the light in to see if I can get some of the bait fish to come up a little more from the light line... BC I'm pretty sure if you tried to float the light line on a popular night you'd get knocked out by a leadhead. I've fished from shore there a few times and I'm confident those guys would hit me. Full combat fishing at it's finest.

Comment

do you shoot across and fish the docks by redeyes?

Comment

No but I will this year... I'm planning on starting there in the evenings maybe middle to end of August if I can get away. We'll see.

Comment

I spent quite a few evenings over the last couple years tied up to the pilings under the narrows bridge and it was always interesting. Pretty easy to stay away from the shore guys by hitting the middle two slots but current can really rip through there so be careful. Late August the water boiled with blues all night, just crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X