7/11 SPSP Report and Member Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/11 SPSP Report and Member Intro

Hi all, just stumbled onto this forum in the last few days. I've wanted to get into Kayak fishing for many years, though I have been hesitant to drop the cash on the Hobie SOT I wanted, so I compromised and got a Perception 11' SIN to get me into the sport, which I love so far! Anyway, have done lots of fishing on the local Lakes with it and have a few years of Fishing the Middle Bay and Lower Bay from friends powerboats, so decided to hit up SPSP after finding the information on this site. Overall, I am impressed with this Kayak in the Bay! I have never experienced waves before and didn't have a single issue while landing/paddling/fishing out there. Don't know how the roughness of the water this morning compares to other days though.

We left Fairfax around 9:30 and got to the park at 10:40. I cringed when I saw the line of vehicles, but quickly felt relief at the speed of the line and the actual length of it not being that long. Parked and walked around to figure out where the Yak launching site actually was, then moved the vehicle to the appropriate spot. Debated on taking the Kayak out for a dry run with out the fish finder or any gear, but when I saw another young girl in a kayak launch from the beach with out any issues on what looked like her first time, I decided to just throw in with a full boat. From there, we paddled out to the Lighthouse, where I drifted BerkleyBite Bloodworms on a double bottom rig in 10 feet of water on the southside of it. Caught a baby striper around 4" long, then a live line sized spot which I proceeded to hook through the snout with a 6/0 circle. No hits around the lighthouse, so I paddled north up the beach, watching the finder and learning the area as I have never been here before. Started soaking the Fishbites again in 13-14 feet of water drifting North since the tide changed and found the good size spot, and then plenty of croaker, with white perch thrown in. My original plan was to fish the drop offs around the lighthouse and north beach for spot, then paddle out to the Bridge and try live lining, but I got too distracted bottom fishing.

Anyway, I am hooked on Bay Kayak fishing and cannot wait to explore more and get into some rockfish. I was not expecting such a successful and pain-free trip in big open water that I have never been to before. I had a buddy with me, but he did not fish today. For the Kayak set up, I have a cutting board that velcros's into place infront of the Cabin, to that the fish finder is temporarily velcroed until I figure out its permanent position, as well as a Scotty Type Rod Holder. I have a 7a/h sealed battery Velcroed into place temporarily behind my seat until I build the dry box for it and the drink coolie that is siliconed to the deck is for filling with water and dropping the transducer is in. Home made anchor trolley and anchor light. Also, 500gph electronic Bilge pump is going in today.

TJ
    Attached Files

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
      Welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome TJ! Fairfax? Me too. Also new to kayak fishing this year. Me and the missus tried it while on vacation in Costa Rica last December. I'm hooked too!

I'm in the Fair Oaks area. Where you at? Have you explored RiverBend on the Potomac? Good smallie location. Algonkian Park, too. Maybe we can coordinate something sometime.

John

Comment

Re:

Thanks John! I'm located in the same area near wegmans. I have only hit the occoquan on the river and lake as well as many trips to Burke during the daytime and night time. I would love to float either of those, also interested in the rappy down in Fredericksburg. So much water, so little time! Going camping down in Harrisonburg this weekend but no plans set yet on after that. Meeting up for a trip would be fine by me!

TJ

Comment

Nice report and welcome aboard!

All the spot i've been catching are miniature 3-4inches. How big were the spot you were livelining?
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Hi, thanks! I was using similar size, 3-4". It seemed like when I got on the fringes of the croaker I would start landing those little spot.

Comment

TJ, My wife and I also camp and we're going the following weekend!This Saturday I have a pass so will be looking to hook up with some of the guys here for some kayak fishing somewhere. Looks like there's an effort to coordinate something at Point Lookout or St. Jerome's Creek. Timing is everything but we'll coordinate something soon. Stay tuned...

John

Comment

Driving back west on the bridge ( about 11am)after kayak fishing eastside I looked over,saw someone in a orange kayak wearing a straw hat fishing,honked and kept going, Me blue kayak,green pickup; a bit choppy but beautiful day out in the bay.

Comment

Kayak fishing is the best kind of fishing....no pollution, little maintenance, exercise and the fish don't get spooked. Welcome! Thanks for the report on SPSP. I haven't gotten there since I live in the upper bay region but I am itching to do so.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Welcome to the site and great report. I have never tried the Berkly Bloodworm bites. I think i might pick some up to see if they work better than fish bites. I hate dealing with blood worms. One out of every dozen gets my finger no matter how carefully i handle them.

Comment

Thanks! You actually made me realize my mistake. I have both Berkley Fake Bloodworms in a bag with what seems like juice, and the Fishbites. I used both, and the Berkleys didnt work at all, but the Fishbites do, and always have for me. Sorry about the confusion!

My buddy was in a yellow kayak with a cloth hat that resembles a straw hat but he wasn't fishin and I was wearin a baseball cap, I'll keep an eye out for everyone next time. I only saw a few other Kayakers at SPSP that day and none were fishin. Still talked to quite a few in passing. Sounds like I need to check out the other side of the bridge and pay that toll some time. Thanks for all the welcomes!

Comment

quantico.

if you get a chance and want to do some resevoir fishing try lunga res that is on base at quantico. I am a former marine and did alot of fishing in just a tube there.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdad View Post
                            Driving back west on the bridge ( about 11am)after kayak fishing eastside I looked over,saw someone in a orange kayak wearing a straw hat fishing,honked and kept going, Me blue kayak,green pickup; a bit choppy but beautiful day out in the bay.

Hey Crawdad. I think I saw you on Saturday. I'm in a red kayak and my buddy was in a red/purple kayak. We were on the west end anchored off on a piling. I think you covered quite a bit of water that day. We pulled out at around 1:30 - 2:00pm and I think we saw you pull out right after us in your green pickup.

Comment

Great report man!! Glad you falling in love with the sport!

MYT

Comment

Working...
                              X