CBBT Fri 3-23-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Fri 3-23-12

Hit the water at 9 am. Temp in the high 60s. Mostly sunny. Light breeze. Calm waters, probably 50+ degrees. Nice day. A few boats were out. I saw two other yakers.

Target was togs. Had a bunch of blue crab and my new Magtouch tog rod.

Worked a bunch of pilings toward the first island (3 miles from shore). Piling after piling. Nothing. Not even a nibble. Even at the first island, nada. Seemed like a slow day. I headed back mid afternoon, again worked the pilings. Nothing. The current had picked up and it was hard holding position around the pilings. Chops picked up too. After eight hours, I felt I was going to get skunked. It was time to call it quits, and I couldn't help the feeling of disappointment.

Just before 5 pm I called my wife to get Saturday's forecast. It wasn't too good, so I cancelled an overnight room reservation. I decided to go home last night.

After I called my wife, I thought I'd try a few more pilings, even though the turbulent eddies were pushing me out of position. I was tired. Breeze was cooler and chops were up. There was even some dark clouds overhead. I went to the next piling, which was two miles from shore. Not ten seconds, and BAM!

The bugger wanted to stay between the pilings, but my new stout rod got the better. I got a good fight with a nice 19 1/2 incher. To say the least, I was ecstatic! The skunk had gone.

After that I fished another half hour or so. Finally hit shore after over nine hours on the water.

Glad this one was a male. (Note: It's Ok to take females, but personally, I generally feel better taking males). For those that don't know:
    - Males have a protruding forehead (above the eye; looks like a bump)
    - Males are generally gray-blackish in color; females are more brownish
    - Males have a distinctive protruding chin; the chin underside is white; females don't have this "large" mandible
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Nice work Tufnik, Persistence pays off!!!

Comment

Nice going in the tog. You are a trooper when it comes to endurance. 9 hours...good lord!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for the report. What do you think of the MagTouch rod? What model did you get? They're often on sale, and I always wonder if they're sensitive enough to overcome my hand deafness.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
          Nice going in the tog. You are a trooper when it comes to endurance. 9 hours...good lord!
          Yeah, that's why I have yak ass. Funny you don't feel butt pain when you're fighting the fish though.

Comment

Great report tufnik!! I wanted to try this weekend, but the weather is keeping me away...

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
              Sweet. Thanks for the report. What do you think of the MagTouch rod? What model did you get? They're often on sale, and I always wonder if they're sensitive enough to overcome my hand deafness.
              Bill,

I have the MGTC66WJ. It's lure rated up to 2 ounces, so it's one of their stiffer rods. It's my tog or bottom fishing rod. When you fish CBBT, the current can rip pretty well. To get to the bottom, I've used up to seven ounces. Some folks go higher. When you fish heavy, you need a stout rod or else you have a hard-to-fish "slinky" rod. The stoutness also helps to pull the tog from structure.

I've used a boat rod for togs before. They have good backbone, but they are heavy. For it's stoutness and strength the Magtouch is rather light. Only five ounces. I like this, especially when I'm yak fishing up to ten hours.

I've used it only once, and it's sensitivity is good. I could feel the subtle tap-tap when I caught the tog. This is good when you're fishing a lot of ounces to get to the bottom. It doesn't have a fore-grip, which I prefer. It also does not have a cork handle. The handle is a finished carbon fibre weave, which was designed to really let you feel nibbles. Although it uses no cork, the handle is still grippy when your hand is wet. Comfort wise, the handle is OK. I think I prefer cork for comfort.

It's also pretty strong. I could bend it pretty well on snags. I had other rods that snapped. BTW, I think I'm learning my lesson on buying cheap rods.

The rod is $100, but I bought it on sale for $80 at Cabelas. I've seen is as cheap as $70. I also have my eye on another tog rod, the Trevala S.
              Last edited by tufnik; 03-24-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Glad you finally found a very nice Tog after your marthon trip! Nice report
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Way to hang tough man. Great tog! Congrats

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X