Point Lookout Kayak Report - 7/11/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Lookout Kayak Report - 7/11/10

I got a late start today and put in at Point Lookout state park around 3:00 pm. The weather was fantastic today. Light breeze and Hot :redface:

I was targeting flounder and croaker today so i made my way to the river. I fished in front of the swimming area in 19 to 23 ft of water all day. When i got out to the area i wanted to start at the tide was outgoing and moving at a good clip. I was drifting over 1 mph. I just bought a drift sock so i deployed it and guess what? I was drifting a 1 mph. Made no difference. I guess it only works for windy conditions .

The croaker bite was steady all day. I would pick up 2 or 3 every drift. Ranging from 9" to 15". I was also jigging for flounder while drifting with a bucktail tipped with a squid strip. I only caught 1 flounder and it was a tiny one. Must have been 5 inches long. Well at least i got the first one of the year

WHERE ARE THE FLOUNDER!!!!!

I fished until around 8:00pm and kept 9 of the bigger croaker. I caught around 20 croakers in total. The croakers were caught on Squid and several on the bucktail. Not a bad day.

I did have a nice reality check today. After i put away all my gear and buttoned up the hatches for my trip back to the landing I went to pull the stringer of fish into the back of the boat. Well i underestimated the weight of the fish and yanked them into the dive well. I leaned to far back and that's all it took. Wobble Wobble I went to the left and then to the right. I decide to ditch with hopes the boat would stay upright. Thankfully it did so the only thing bobbing up and down in the water was me . I Walrus flopped back into the boat and all was good. Things can happen quick out there when you are not paying attention.

That was my first dunking of the year and hopefully the last.

Oh and the payment for a soaking.

Nice report! Good thing you got some practice with the dunking and it sounds like you made the right call to bail.

I've only caught one flounder down there this year, but at least the croaker are still around. Hear of any puppy drum showing up there yet?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Not sure about the puppys yet. There were lots of bait fish in the pond area. I did see fish busting the surface further back. I could not tell what they were though. I didn't bring any smaller lures with me so I ignored them.

Comment

nice report. i flipped once back when i first started yak fishing. all my gear ended up in the water. thankfully the only thing i lost was a box with weights.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
        X