7/11 - Hemingways / Severn Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/11 - Hemingways / Severn Report

I made it out there this AM too ... was on the water by about 8:45.

When I was coming across the bridge, I saw one of you going under the south span in a blue yak (paddling)

I parked next to the person who had an inflatable set of cross bars w/ a Montgomery College sticker.

It definitely blew harder than they were predicting. I kept paddling up to the south span and drifting south for spot. I put a few in my live well but got tired of continuously fighting the wind and chop so I bagged it by around 10 and went to plan 'B' -- Jonas Green.

I figured the Severn would be a little more sheltered. I was on the water there by about 10:45. Turned out to be a good call. Once I put in, I started working the shore line to the west and concentrated on the piers and working the shadows. On the first pier 29' boat w/ Osprey Nest, I caught 20 + three inch spot and that started geting boring. Working further west I found some piers with deeper slips up to 12' -- those were the ticket. I hammered some really nice chunky perch and had a significant # of double headers.

I also had a first in my fishing career -- i cast in under one of the piers and hit a pretty good perch. Reeled him in and immediately began taking the hook out of his lip while doing that, I noticed there's fish line running down into his mouth. It turns out that was my other hook. The greedy b%$%$ actually ate both of my baits and I hooked him twice.

Anyhow --worked all the way up to Manresa and back called it a day around 4 when I started to get dehydrated.

All in all it was a good day and made the dozen bloodworms worth the $$

p.s. -- only used half dozen rest went to some shore fisherman back at JG.

Maybe the weatherman can get the bay forecast right next time and I'll head back out to the bridge.

Mark

If you already have the spot you could also run to the narrows and get out of the wind, and might be able to tie into a good striper-thanks for the report

Comment

You know -- I thought about that but wasn't sure where to launch.

I've heard you need a permit ($10 at Anglers) to launch at the ramp that's on the west side of the narrows under the 50 bridge.

Is there a better place to launch ?

I definitely wanted to put in there this year and go work that seawall w/ some BAs

Comment

the blue toyota was my car. it was pretty rough out there. the guy in the blue yak was crawdad. i was getting ready to head out also but things died down a bit around noon. i ended up staying till 2.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I fished the seawall there with another kayaker. It was my first time at the ramp under the rt 50 bridge at the Kent Narrows. We did not know that a permit was required for car toppers. They guy that I was with thought it was for just trailers, since there are fishermen who park there and fish the Narrows. Do anyone know for sure if we need a permit at that ramp from Anglers? I would like to stay legal and not worry about being ticketed.

Comment

Yes, you need to get the sticker to launch under the bridge at the narrows. I got checked a couple times last year and saw some others get written up.

Comment

queen anne county permit 30.00. they usually dont hassel you very often, they really need to get on the trash balls that polute our fishing areas. the narrows is looking very bad opted not to do the bb and hit the severn early picked up some nice croaker and some large black back white perch. in by 530 out by10 with 5 croaker and 15 wps in 20' of water

Comment

Working...
              X