Getting flipped....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting flipped....???

Has it happened to anybody here? If so how often?....I need a new ride I'm not and repeat not taking a sit in kayak in the bay........or at least very far out in the Bay

I've fished both SOT and SI kayaks, and the best way to go, period, is SOT. You can fish the other way and its pretty easy to do, keep your body upright at all times and you wont go over. The hardest thing to do is keep your body upright in a following sea and when you are distracted. You can go over if you ignore this in either a SOT or SI kayak. But its easier to get back in a SOT once you go over. I have fished an old town, nantucket (SI) in the OBX and the narrows, and the only time I rolled the boat was beaching it in the OBX. I have also rolled my Hobie in the OBX. So, be prepared to go over, and practice getting back in, and always wear a pfd, because you might not be able to get back to the boat. Know your limits, practice, be prepared. Just in case I mess up, I wear a pfd, strapped to it is a light, radio, flare pack (whistle mirror dye etc) and a PLB. I'd like to make my wife rich, but not by collecting on the insurance.

Comment

I haven't taken on the surf yet but I fish the bay around here and in OCMD frequently and I haven't gone over yet. The only times I've been close were when I was crawling around the kayak. I've never had a issue sitting upright in the seat. Here is a video of how to get back on a SOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmaNBXEa_yQ&feature=fvsr

Comment

i know a guy who flipped in a sink kayak, he was fishing in shallow 3-4' of water and got supprised by a cownose ray and he had the drag too tight and it flipped him in a second. every thing got soaked and the rod went with the ray. his bro and i came back from the wall at the narrows to find him on the bank bailing out the kayak. he had his saftey stuff on but its pretty hard to bail a sink with out the proper stuff and get in while in the water without help.you need a float in the bow, a good pump and a paddle float to help get back in.

Comment

i did once on purpose to see if i could get back in. i did just fine.

i saw grilled sardine flip..LOL..i still laugh thinking about it..LOL...he got back on just fine too, without his weight box though..ha
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah I need a new ride....

Sit on top, not sit in... I do fish lakes and areas where I wouldn't feel bad flipping. The Bay seems not a good place to flip, I can't imagine turning my kayak over neck deep in water with no footing...
            Just won't happen won't go out far in my kayak....just need a new one

Comment

The best insurance is to practice re-entry and ALLWAYS where your PDF. If you spend time on the water you will take a dunk. It is just a matter of time and it will happen when you least expect it.

Like pulling a stringer of fish on board

Thankfully SOT's are easy to upright and re-enter even for a chubby fellow like my self

Comment

Working...
              X