It's Toggin Time!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Toggin Time!!!!

Facebook has informed me that Tog King Rob Choi caught a 19incher today... get your rigs all ready to go... Next Weekend?

I'm down where at CBBT or Kipto?
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I'll do some contacting this week and look into it.

Comment

Tog have been active for a while now. I went down a couple of weeks ago and had a good day and then another on Saturday.
        2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

Looking forward to toggin again, but Kipto was much friendlier to me, so I might be more interested in going there... Could make a trip next friday if Striper dont turn on good up here...

When do the Sheepshead start showing up?

Side note: Does anyone rubberband their weights to the line so you don't lose your whole rig when you get hung up? Or is better to just tie the weight directly to your heavy leader and hope that you can yank it out?
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

They are catching tog at HRBT now too. Fiddlers and clam seem to be the ticket.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...315973-togging

http://vbsf.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=24449
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

If you put a couple of knots along the line where the weight is, it'll create a weak point which will allow it to break there so you will lose your weight.

Comment

I use a three way swivel and take 17lb test and tie it into a loop. Put one end through the threeway and back through it, and the same with the weight. You get stuck you just have to pull to break the line. Stronger than a rubberbank. I am bad at explaining how I do it, but you get the idea, tying a not works too. better to lose lead than a whole rig.

Comment

I've heard spotty tog reports the past 2-3 weeks too. Water has warmed up a bit more too. So, I may tog this weekend at Norfolk/VB. Maybe I'll see some of you on the water.

I have used rubber bands, but I haven't really experienced the benefit. So I just tie the sinker direct to the line. I use Choi's tog rigging, and it works fine. Leader is 50# mono.

Pinch, I'm surprised to hear they're catching togs at HRBT. I asked a lot of folks last year and no one seemed to confirm that togs are at HRBT. I did try twice for togs there last year, even around the Fort, and got nothing.
                  Last edited by tufnik; 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Not in Virginia, but I hear that people are starting to catch tog off the bayside around the 2nd and 4th street bulkhead in Ocean City. Anyone every yakfish for tog in OC?
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Not from a yak but from boat and shore plenty. Your best bet is going to be the bulkhead or even try some pilings near the inlet. There are pilings near the coast guard station and also on the other side of the bay near the west o harbor. Anything with structure is prob holding tog but the further you stray from the inlet the less your chances are going to be.

Comment

The current in front of the bulkhead can easily reach 5+ knots when the tide is flowing hard (full/new Moon) and even on normal days it can be just as bad. there is nice tog in the area, Ive fished from land there. Ive flounder fished from my old yak on the west side of the 50 bridge where the current is not as bad. It would be an interesting trip, and it would be nice to do with a group.
                        -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
                        -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                          Not in Virginia, but I hear that people are starting to catch tog off the bayside around the 2nd and 4th street bulkhead in Ocean City. Anyone every yakfish for tog in OC?

10-24-2011, 08:55 AM
                          RavensDfense
                          YakFisher Join Date: Jul 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          REPORT FROM MY OC TOG TRIP IN OCT 2011....

"Tufnik,
                          You need to let me know how you did. I got caught up late tracking a deer Saturday night and did not make it back to Salisbury in time to tie rigs, load up, etc. I hate rushing and being unprepared so I elected to fish the OC inlet instead.

I put over at the marina where the M&G was held and made my way over to Skinky Beach just to the left when you enter the inlet. As soon as I arrived there was a pontoon boat anchored just off the beach pulling in 18-20 inch tog left and right. The problem is my Hobie anchor decided it wasnt going to cooperate so I couldn't hold bottom. It is about 20ft and I was struggling. I moved in closer to the rocks and anchored there, but only caught one 13in tog. The current really rips through there. Once the tide got moving I was at its mercy. I had to wait until it stopped before I could get back. I couldnt fish either because I couldnt get anywhere near the rocks due to the current. So basically mother nature kicked my rearend last night and I had a tough go at it. Sometime this week, I may put over and fish for an hour on each side of the low tide before it gets too bad. One my way out at low, the current was manageable.

A little piece of advice though. MD tide finder was off by approx 90 mins on the tide. It predicted high tide at 5:38 and at 7:00 it finally went slack. I assume it has to due with the close proximity of the spot to the ocean and the fact that where I was is right in the channel. "

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                          X