Meet&Greet fishing report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet&Greet fishing report

It turned out to be a great day at the bridge, but it did get to be a bit sporty at times. Glen and I got there first and were putting in when surfdog showed up. He told us he was headed to the narrows due to the front coming in. After the evening I had yesterday, I was going to fish. (Got to Glen's last night to pre-load his boat when the bearing in the drivers front failed. Had to strip it down, get to the auto parts store, and install the new bearing before getting home.)

Small spot, 3-5 inches were easy to find, and Glen and i put a bunch in the bucket pretty quick. I headed out to liveline, Glen stayed in a bit to pick on the spot, perch and croakers. Got out to deeper wate, threw the first spot and he got eaten in under a minute, would have been the best fish of the day, but the wind had the boat pinned to the piling and the fish went around the corner and broke me off. I was using my little G Loomis rod so I couldnt horse him in. Lost two more baits without hooking up, and then a few other yakes came out, Longisland, Matt and Mike? i think. I then hooked up withanother decent fish who immediately wrapped himself up in something on the bottom. Three times I pressured him and then pooped the bail, the third time did the trick and he swam free, well, so to speak. 23 inches and into the bag.

The tide really got going at this point, and the breeze picked up. We all tried a bit longer, the other three yakers head in. I tried a bit longer but started in and met back up with Glen. He was tearing up the perch and croakers (nice, big fat ones too). I fished with him until the current quit ripping so hard and had put five fresh spot back in the livewell. I headed back out with Glen in tow. The first spot got eaten quickly by a very aggressive fish, but agai, I didnt hook up with him. Put a second spot on and nailed another 23 inch fish. Glen came over and nailed an 18 inch fish, a short and one that was good sized but covered with sores. He gave me the last bait and again a very aggressive fish nailed this spot and I had him on for 30 secs before he came off.

Glen was once again picking on the spot, croakers and perch, and I fished along with him, working our way back to the truck. Glen went home with a cooler full of perch and croakers and a rockfish (he'll be filleting fish for a week I think) and my grill is heating up now. We got soaked by rain and waves, but it was a great day of fishing. It was good meeting two of you for the first time, and seeing Surfdog and Longisland again. Matt-Thanks for the shirt, I owe you $10.00? How do I get it to you?

glad you did well, im not a fan of bad weather, been caught in it too many times. came back around 830 from the narrows and hung out until 920 when it started to pour buckets. i guess ill met up with matt another time.

Comment

I agree, but after 3.5 hours spent fixing the truck and getting only three hours sleep, I was going unless there was lightning. With the wind the run in was easy, as well as the tide. If it hadd gotten treally nasty, i would have called it a day. After the heat we had, it was nice to be cold! Do anything at the narrows? Hit the breakwaters, bridge or sunken railroad trestle?

Comment

Thanks for the report. I'm heading out in the AM tomorrow.

What was Glen using for the perch & spot ?

I have fbbw but was thinking about stopping for some bloods on the way down.

Just looking to find out what worked today.

Thanks
        Mark

Comment

bloods and shrimp, you will tear them up with no problem, small spot are away from the pilings. croaker were scattered. bigger perch right next to the structure. Have fun!

Comment

Surfdog- sorry I wasn't in by the time you came by, I figured if I was gonna get any fishing in I was gonna have to get out there the earliest possible.

I think we'll have to try another date pretty soon, I think we were gonna have a really good turnout but the weather was a little too threatening

I was using fish bites to catch perch, croaker, and spot. Usually my bait of choice on kayak cause I can pre-cut them prior to leaving dry land.

I caught a number of perch around 10 inches and a croaker about 14 inches.

Overall a great day even though I wasn't able to get any rock trying to liveline. The current was strong and I just wasn't able to keep the OK near the pilings.

Comment

Sorry I missed it, guys. The radar didn't look too bad but when I was getting ready the rain was coming pretty hard. And there appeared to be plenty behind it. I knew either it was going to follow me to the bridge or I was going to follow it so the call was made. On the bright side took the time to organize a lot stuff and do some things I've neglected around the house. Another time...

Leaving now for a boat trip above the bridge. Plan is to bottom fish and if we get some small spot hit the bridge for livelining. Boat traffic will also dictate where we go.

Tight lines!
              John

Comment

Due to the inclement weather and a lot of people not making it out that were planning on it we should reschedule another date pretty soon. I was able to get a Goodie Bag from my tackle shop so next time when we get a big group there we can set it up tournament style.

Comment

Sounds like you guys made the best of it though! Would this weekend work as a rain date? Possibly Sunday or Saturday in that order...
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Next Saturday

I probably won't be able to make it this weekend -- I volunteer for Wish-A-Fish Foundation and we're having our annual event on Saturday @ SPSP

Sunday might be honey-do

Comment

Matt,

For those of us that bailed due to weather how did you want to handle the t-shirts? My vote goes to another meet and greet.

Here's a thought for the group... how about a standing, monthly meet and greet? Say the 2nd Saturday of every month. Or whatever day the consensus is. Whoever can make, makes it. If you can't then you know there's another the next month that maybe you can.

John

Comment

^^^^ I like your idea john. And another meet and greet sounds good and one every month sounds even better.

Comment

that sounds like a good idea John.

doug no fish at KN, every time i go there its nastier and nastier. had a gppd day on sunday in the severn nice size croaker and some big wp. it was so calm and peacefull i almost fell asleep found the problem with ff transducer popped loose will fix this week, might try the vasaline mount this time

Comment

Hey Surfdog - I was on the Severn on Sunday but didn't see any other yakfishers. Where'd you go out of ?

I started at JG and worked west toward Manresa - good times on the WP !

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                              Matt,

For those of us that bailed due to weather how did you want to handle the t-shirts? My vote goes to another meet and greet.

Here's a thought for the group... how about a standing, monthly meet and greet? Say the 2nd Saturday of every month. Or whatever day the consensus is. Whoever can make, makes it. If you can't then you know there's another the next month that maybe you can.

John

^^ Would you like to be the person that sets up the location for each month and what weekend? 2nd Saturday every month sounds like a good start. We can start using the Calender we have here on the forum to set the dates and locations to try to keep it as organized as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X