Flukin' in NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flukin' in NJ

This is not a kayak fishing report but a technique report that should will work no matter your platform...

Just back from a trip to my home waters off SI NY / NJ. If you haven't seen it over on tidalfish.com I was stoked to try this technique by JSkinner of LI NY: http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...ktailing-video

When I lived up that way years ago and fished for fluke (flounder) I always used a bucktail as the weight on a 3-way with a traditional killie/squid sandwich. Why not? It often caught the biggest fluke or something else (bluefish, weakfish).

Well, I can certainly vouch for Mr. Skinner's technique! (sorry, no pics. Left the camera on the counter so either believe the story or don't.) We fished Sandy Hook Bay. Lots of locals and head boats working the area. My hosts used the traditional killie/squid sandwich. Each caught a few shorts. (18' in NJ) I used the Skinner method exclusively. Outfished everyone (even those I observed on the head boats around us). In 2 hours I caught 10 fish and 3 keepers up to 22" !!

Awesome technique! Try it...
    John

John- Great to hear you got some fishing in over the weekend! I'm planning on using this same method this weekend in the Indian River Bay area above Fenwick.

Did you keep the fish? I caught one NC keeper @ 15" in topsail, but it was hotter than the sun and the boat traffic was insane. Between the swells and the crabs, I didn't fish too long. Still made a tasty appetizer... Buffalo Flounder!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Michael, Darn right I kept them! It's been a couple seasons since I last caught a few. In fact, we'll be having some more tonight! Nice, thick fillets came off the 22incher. Yum!

If you do try this technique make sure to work the jig vertically. If your drift is too fast use a drift sock or sea anchor to slow you down. Try not to use anything bigger than 2oz. Short, quick, constant up and down movement. Keep in contact with it. There's no mistaking when they hit it!

Good luck at Indian River!

Comment

im going to have to try that. made up some home made fluonder pounders with 3/0 khale hooks and bucktail skirt with 2 beads and a couple different spinners. did ok at IRI from shore but will try from the kayak the next time im flounder hunting

Comment

Working...
        X