Occoquan 3/17/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan 3/17/2012

Fished above the 123 Bridge for 4 hours with Shad darts and didn't manage any shad, but I saw some dead ones in the water, so they are here. Hooked a small bass that had red eyes but got off at the side of the yak before I got a good look at him.
    Also, I am sure everyone already knows, but you can buy a $40 pass if you are a Virginia resident that is valid at Occoquan Regional, Pohick, and others.

http://www.owlva.org

Thanks for the recon, TJ, and it's good to hear from you again. Were the dead fish hickories or gizzard shad? I think gizzards spawn a bit earlier, and I've seen dead ones around at the beginning of the shad run before. They're catching shad in Richmond, so it shouldn't be too much longer. I can't wait.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

At least one was a hickory, it was longer and slender, the others were rotted but had deep bellies, so I would guess Gizzard now that you pointed that out. Hope that you have been doing well and enjoying your break from school Bill. Went to Colorado to ski a few times this winter and spent a lot of time in Columbus.

Comment

Good to hear from you TJ! They are catching hickories, herring, and Americans in the Potomac! Talk about a early run!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I fished upstream from 123 today beneath the Occoquan footbridge.

The shad are officially here! I only hooked into one after fishing for about one hour. However, a lot of the fellas around me were catching more. I fished a golden spoon and darts. The most successful fisherman was using Gitzits (small soft plastic jig/minnows). I think he caught about five within a 2 hour time frame. They all appeared to be hickory shad and were between 12 - 16 in.

We should try put a post out for an adhoc meetup for MKFer in the next couple of weeks. Its slow right now, but I think it may peak early in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Awesome to hear! What a difference a day can make. Last year I had more luck with darts then spoons oddly.
            Hey Michael, hows it goin? After the wet cold spring last year, I think we deserve some earlier spring runs this year.

TJ

Originally posted by PotomacTide View Post
            I fished upstream from 123 today beneath the Occoquan footbridge.

The shad are officially here! I only hooked into one after fishing for about one hour. However, a lot of the fellas around me were catching more. I fished a golden spoon and darts. The most successful fisherman was using Gitzits (small soft plastic jig/minnows). I think he caught about five within a 2 hour time frame. They all appeared to be hickory shad and were between 12 - 16 in.

We should try put a post out for an adhoc meetup for MKFer in the next couple of weeks. Its slow right now, but I think it may peak early in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
            X