First Shad, 3-16-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Shad, 3-16-12

First Shad - Fished the lower Potomac at Fletchers Cove today, 3-16-12, 11:30am-2:15pm. Caught 3 sm/med hickory shad, had another 2-3 flip off a few feet away, and several more good hits but no hookup. So the shad run has started… and started early I might add… but still pickins are slim as is to be expected this early in the run. River in excellent condition, clear down to 6’+, although the flow is below normal and still dropping. Saw a few small schools of herring, alewifes no doubt, pushing each other against the shore line. From my vantage point I saw only a few cormorants, so even they were caught off guard by this nice weather. I did see one lone cormorant right in front of me bring up around 3 herring. He was lovin life.

I was using spinning gear and a 1.5” limetreuse twistertail on a jighead plus a bullet weight pegged 2’ up the line. Hardly anyone there. I went up to the boat house to buy my license only to find out that old pharts (like me) 65 years and older can fish in DC for free, even applies to non-residents.
    Attached Files
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Thanks for the report, it is good to hear some shad are there. I am planning on giving it a try Sunday morning.

Comment

Did you catch any white perch? The fletchers website has pictures of guys with stringers of nice ones...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I didn't catch any white perch. However, off in the distance, I saw a boat pulling in wperch two at a time. He was a little too far away to be sure about their size but they did seem small and he was throwing almost all of them back. So I guess they were running small, probably males. But keep in mind that there was hardly any fishermen there. So maybe big perch were there but no one was there to catch them.
        Howard

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
          Did you catch any white perch? The fletchers website has pictures of guys with stringers of nice ones...
          Shady - Would you please send me the Fletchers website link? The one I have (see below) hasn't been updated since last fall. Thanks
          http://www.fletcherscove.com/index.htm
          Howard

Comment

Working...
          X