Chesapeake 7/5/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chesapeake 7/5/10

What a day out on the bay. After a month of non-fishing, i finally had the chance to go out. I got to SPSP around 6am and was in the water by 6:30. I started fishing for spot and within 30min, I already had a dozen. I then headed over to the light house and first cast, boom, fish on. A nice 22incher. I caught 3 more in the same area all about the same size. Once 11 rolled in, it started getting kinda crazy with all the jet skiiers and boaters. For some reason, they found kayak fishing fascinating and kept circling me. I started getting a little annoyed so I decided to leave that area and hit up the bridge on the eastern side. wow...the fishing was hot. I fished for spot and then started livelining the pilons. Caught about 10 stripers, all around 22-23inches with the biggest one around 33inches but it had sores all over it. Was pretty discusting. Also caught some decent sized perch while fishing for spot. Met a couple other kayakers from tidal fish. Great day out on the water!

oh...for some reason, all the spot were mini's. They were all around 2-4inches, perfect for livelining. I remember last year around this same time, i had a hard time catching small spot for livelining. They were all monster jumbo spot.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

what were you using for your spot bait / rig ?

Comment

hi lo rig with bloodworms
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

nice job! big spot produce big fish though. it is funny how last year we struggled to catch spot under 9"

i do think 5-6" spot are the best for sizable summer rock in the upper bay
        sigpic

Comment

good deal!! hopefully the tide will be running exactly the same for us Saturday as it was today and will produce lots of fish.

Comment

Yo great catch,you travel some good distance on that kayak,from lighthouse to east side is a good trek,last time I was out on the east side I wanted to go to the ligthhouse but the lazy side of me said forget it,the paddle back is the kicker.I'm thinking about doing a launch from SPSP to the lighthouse in the near future.

Comment

Working...
            X